Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
For those who feed this, Natures Variety recall ........

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/UCM200248

Re: For those who feed this, Natures Variety recall ........

thank you for posting this-are there any safe "pet" foods anymore?

This is one reason, I have always stayed w/ tried and companies that have been around a long long time and have years under their belt w/ research, etc. You just don't hear of them having these recalls.

We have far too many what I call fly by night companies. Anyone can make a dog food~ JMO

Sherry, I don't feed the raw packaged diet. However, I have to disagree with your statement. Just read the names of the brands of food that were recalled in 2007, after dogs starting going into kidney failure in late 2006 and early 2007. I had trusted Purina, Eukanuba, Nutro, and Royal Canin for years. I thought that by mixing or rotating foods, I would protect my dogs from food shortages and food recall dangers. Boy was I wrong! How was I or my vets to know that they all contained the same contaminants? Granted, the senior toy dog that paid the biggest price was on the wet foods as well as dry in those brands, for she loved the packets that we had won or been given at shows and specialties. I had two dogs go into kidney failure, and by the time we identified the cause, it was too late for my Tina. It impacted the health of all my older dogs. Probably one reason poor little Flashy cascaded so fast into kidney failure this fall--she probably already had damage from back then.

If I only had one dog, I'd probably go back to cooking mixed with fresh foods. However, even our human foods and meds are recalled from time to time. I don't know the answer. Life is full of risks, but also full of joy. I would change what I fed back then, but I would not change having had these dogs in my life.

Hi.. I am so sorry you had problems and your dog's had to suffer for it...that's sad. Guess I have just been lucky then through all these years. I don't recall ever seeing a recall on my dry kibble? I have fed Eukanuba large breed puppy since its onset and premium performance as well as Bil-Jac frozen. Lots think it's crap food : ) but my dogs do and have done very well on it through the years. Now maybe if one has issues as allergies, etc. w/ in their line of dogs, then yeah, you probably wouldn't want to feed what I feed.

On recalls that have happened, I don't think the tried and true long time companies have had recalls w/ kibble, have they? It's only been the not around long companies...

Royal Canin's Sensible Choice senior chicken flavor was recalled back then, if I remember correctly. Don't know if they count on your list.
Brand is brand. I trusted Euk, Purina, Royal Canin, Nutro, etc. back then, for what they were. Not sure WHAT to feed anymore. Some dogs on one food, some on another.

I too wonder what others are feeding that was never affected by recalls or, changed the ingredient list to a point where the dogs just did not do well on it..anyone trust a certain brand in particular?
Charlotte what do you feed now as kibble?

Hi~ Yes, Eukanuba kibble that I feed has never been recalled nor have they changed their ingredients on what I feed, which I already stated the Euk products, I use.

Here is the complete list of what was recalled with the melamine contamination, if you click on the brand it will bring up what products in that brand were recalled:

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/petfoodrecall/#Dog

I had signed up for the FDA alerts back when this was going on and still get them. It is scary how much human food is recalled every day, even scarier is the medical stuff that I see is recalled.