Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy Price difference

Is there something explaining the difference of getting a puppy from a good breeder vs a not-so-good breeder, that I can forward to people who ask why our puppies are more then puppies from some "breeders" ?

I know one was posted a while back, but I can't seem to find it and I did not save the URL.

Thank you in advance !

Re: Puppy Price difference

If you dont know why you are charging more for your pups then that makes me wonder???
why are you?

If you stop to think about it, it costs $15-$20 a day to board a dog in a decent boarding kennel. If we use the same math to calculate the care that goes into raising a new puppy for eight weeks (keeping in mind that the pup is getting much more extensive care, one on one time, etc. than a regular boarding kennel would give a dog)then the price for boarding alone for that puppy would be $980.00!

That does not even take into account the price of food, registration, puppy packs, breeding, clearances, etc. That is just your time!

Anyone charging less that $1000.00 for a puppy is giving their buyers a very good bargain and doing a lot of work for free. Obviously there is an upper limit that would put a purebred puppy out of reach for the average person but I would say that $1000.00 is a good starting point in trying to determine a fair price.

Just tell these people they are asking the wrong question. Tell them they should be asking why some puppies are so cheap.

here's a good link:

http://woodhavenlabs.com/paying.html

Here is a link to a Lab Rescue - they explain puppy prices so the puppy buyer can clearly understand the price difference

http://www.labrescue.com/faqs_links/puppy_prices.html

Need Info
Is there something explaining the difference of getting a puppy from a good breeder vs a not-so-good breeder, that I can forward to people who ask why our puppies are more then puppies from some "breeders" ?

I know one was posted a while back, but I can't seem to find it and I did not save the URL.

Thank you in advance !

Tell them come visit you 1st as you don't want your pups exposed to bacterias or viruses from other peoples dogs or pups . They should then make their 2nd visit to the cheaper breeder and they'll be able to figure it out, all on their own.

Give them a basic puppy packet with copies of clearances and other documents you normally supply including AKC Championships, other titles and certificates of the bitch & stud-dog.

I told any inquirers who asked those questions almost exactly those words. Many did just what I said and guess who they got their pup from *if* I approved of them for one of mine?

Seeing is believing. I usually heard how dirty the next *facility* was, how there were no clearances and how the perspective buyer felt much more comfortable buying a pup from me.

labs
If you dont know why you are charging more for your pups then that makes me wonder???
why are you?

Was that comment necessary? It was mean-spirted. I hope you know how to explain what you charge for a companion, pet pup.

It wasn't asked to be mean spirited, it was asked to be answered and to be thought about.
the OP obviously is selling puppies and has a price. How did they get that price?
did they just pick it out of the air, or because a breeder friend sells for that much?

If you have a price then you must have a reason for asking that much or that little.
if you cant answer how you got to your price then how can you explain to puppy buyers??

labs
why are you?

Was that comment necessary? It was mean-spirted. I hope you know how to explain what you charge for a companion, pet pup.[/quote]

That was the link, Thank you !

I did send my reply. I included the link with my email, with my reason why my puppies are more then the puppies she seen in the paper. I did not want to go on and on, since I am not a great writer, so the link was a great tool to include. I told her that my puppies are from health tested parents, the sire is titled, great lines back both parents, I compete and prove my Labs, etc etc etc. I then did tell her to ask her self that question of "Why the other puppies are so cheap?" (thank you to the person who posted that, I do not know why I did not think of that !) and to ask her self "what they are doing to help prevent potential genetic diseases such as Hip and Elbow Dysplasia, PRA and other eye disorders, EIC, and heart diseases, etc ; do they know their Labs pedigrees so they do not knowingly double on a genetic disease, do they compete with their labs in any venue ? and most importantly, why the litter was bred " . Even if she does not reply, I hope the information I provided gave her a better understanding of what goes into a well bred puppy. I feel many just do not know, and that is how I handled this question.

Labs, I just wanted to send that as extra information for her to ponder on. If you want to judge me based on my question, hey, you have the right to say what you want.

Thank you to everyone else with your posts. I think this article will be a great tool to help educate. I am bookmarking it this time ! . Many of your posts are so true. If you figure in every little thing , Breeders are doing allot of work for free, but personally, I do not mind one bit ! I love and adore my Lab kids, they are very special to me and a huge part of my family. Sure life gets hard sometimes, but there are always them happy faces and wagging tails to lift you up ; them "little" 4-legged fur kids who think you are the best thing in their whole world !!

Have a great Valentines Day, everyone !

labs
It wasn't asked to be mean spirited, it was asked to be answered and to be thought about.
the OP obviously is selling puppies and has a price. How did they get that price?
did they just pick it out of the air, or because a breeder friend sells for that much?

If you have a price then you must have a reason for asking that much or that little.
if you cant answer how you got to your price then how can you explain to puppy buyers??

labs
why are you?

Was that comment necessary? It was mean-spirted. I hope you know how to explain what you charge for a companion, pet pup.
[/quote]

The OP asked a question and for assistance. As far as I can tell by her post, she wasn't looking to answer questions of another breeder why she was charging what she is. This might be her 60-th litter in 30 years. You don't know how long she's breeding or how she determines the cost of a puppy but you didn't say how you decide on the cost of your pups either.

I wasn't asked but I will answer it. I try to stay around the same cost as equal breeders in my state that are doing similar things with their dogs and breeding to similar stud-dog types. For example, I show my dogs in conformation and obedience. I breed to stud-dogs I am comfortable with. I'm trying to get the best pups I can from that particular breeding as I'm breeding for my keepers 1st looking to show them at an appropriate age.

I still don't see why you asked the question. The OP might be a LT breeder and might be breeding longer than both of us combined.

I don't believe in answering a question with another, how did you help her with the buyers she's encountering today by doing so?

Try:
http://www.littleriverlabs.com/price.htm