Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pet Homes and Owners First Right of Refusal

A year ago I placed a lovely boy with a wonderful home. I made sure to tell both the husband and wife (and put it in the contract) that if something were to ever happen and they could not keep him that he was to come back to me. Now nothing has happened and they love him very much, but after talking with her yesterday (yes, I call to see how he is every once in a while and they call me as well) she mentioned how much everyone loves him and that their grown son would take him in a hearbeat as would their vet. I did say in my conversation with her that if something were to happen he is to come back to me..... but I don't think she fully understood my meaning.

Now I have been know to be a bit abrupt and I do not want to offend these people as they really are wonderful. So how do I tactfully reiterate that the contract they signed gives me those rights and that they agreed to those terms when I placed him with them?

Thanks for your help.

Re: Pet Homes and Owners First Right of Refusal

why are you worried about it if they are happy with the dog and love him? She may just have been trying to tell you that he's such a wonderful boy and that everyone loves him so much that they'd like one just like him! :-) I wouldn't worry about reiterating your contract unless they mention their life changing.

I would let it pass as just her way of complimenting you and the pup.

I have often mentioned to my girl's breeder how much Rosie's trainer enjoys working with her and would love to have her but that does not mean for a moment that I would ever let her go.

The remark is only intended to be a compliment to Peggy and Rosie. I would suggest that to say something would be making something out of nothing.

I do think of it as a compliment, but she has made mention of it to me several times. I just wanted to make sure that she is aware that he is to come back to me. After I placed my boy with them, her husband's health started to fail a little... heart problems etc. This is why I am concerned.

Would you consider her grown son part of the family?
I think it is premature to consider them not keeping the dog however, if her son were to be the one to get this special dog would it bother you?

Hi~ Since you are concerned, you need to say something so you feel better. I would say to her the next time it's mentioned, "you are aware that if something should happen to either of you, so and so comes back to me per the contract between us or that I'd like to approve the new home". Then explain why you feel strongly about this clause in your contract. That it is nothing against your vet or your son, yadda yadda and maybe one of them would be the right home but you, as per your contract, have first right of refusal and should the contract come into affect w/ the situation we are discussing, I would want to and need to visit w/ one of them to ensure the home would be the right one for him...yadda yadda. Then talk about it from there.

Thank you Sherry for your response! To the other posters, yes, it would bother me to not know who he would go to.... or exactly where he would be living. I googled these people when they contacted me....before I even called them back, I felt like a complete stalker. :-)
This is the first dog that I have ever placed and will probably be my last. If something should happen, heaven forbid, to his "parents" I would want him back in my home. It took all that I had to not get in my car and drive down there and get him back. I am still grieving for the loss of him in my home, but know that he is completely loved and cherished with his new family.

From what you wrote, this woman adores your boy and would never place him in a setting that was not in his best interest. That said, if your boy does wind up in the unfortunate position of being placed again, I'd ask to speak to the woman's son and her vet so you can properly assess the situation. If you don't approve of these homes after speaking to them, then mention having first dibs on getting him back and explain why you feel the other homes are not in his best interest.

Of course, if you want him back so you can keep him permanently, that's a Lab of a different color!

Barb

The idea is, if the dog is placed, he should go to a good home. The intent is not that you must have the dog back. No wonder the people we offended.