Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
O.T. Horse question.

I am new to horses and was wondering something.. A horse we "were" interested in is a "tight" line breeding. The Sire is also the Grandsire on the Dam's side. So a father/ daughter breeding... Is that common practice in horses? It doesn't sound right to me. TIA to all you in the know about horses....

Re: O.T. Horse question.

Just as in dogs, this close of a line breeding is not the norm. Most likely someone jumped the fence.

I think I would ask the breeder what they were after when doing this breeding. Personally , I would love it in dogs, and in most breeds of horses too !

What breed of horse are you looking at? As in dogs, in certain breeds, tight line breeding is considered common place and in others taboo... Horses are no different. Also, are you purchasing this horse for breeding or solely for riding/showing purposes- this would also affect my decision. Lastly, are you looking at a mare, gelding or stallion, depending on which one would be another factor in my decision, as one would need to think of future value as well. JMHO.

I have been a long time enthusiast of Arabian horses, although have been out of it for some time and am now involved more in Thoroughbred pedigrees. Back in the 60's, in Arabian horses, it was not unusual to find horses so tightly line bred to one individual that the result would be advertised as 80% or more of the same horse! The Arabian stallion *Raffles comes to mind and Then *Bask-and I'm sure there are many others as their are numerous 'conservation' type breeders that breed only bloodlines from a certain source. The term Al Kamsa (can't remember if I spelled it right) would refer to horses that trace back in every line to only approved horses of Egytian decent (a fairly narrow gene pool).

In Thoroughbreds it is more common to see heavy line breeding on sire lines and 2x3 and 3x5 type to same individuals or hoses of identical parentage (siblings). Since the goal is to reproduce the heritable trait for speed, linebreeding and inbreeding make perfect sense. Of course, you are trading hybrid vigor for genetic predictability. Anyway, long story short-not unusual.

It is extremely common and considered just fine as in dogs so long as genetic testing (in certain breeds) is adhered to.

Thank you. It is a 14 yr old QH gelding.
But he has some bucking issues. Not worked for a long time, novice riders, and we wondered if it could be genetic?
He would have been used for WTC and barrel racing if he worked out.. Because he would be for my teenage daughter ( intermediate level) and the possible risks we have decided to pass on this horse. Too bad he is sweet and gorgeous,.,

So sorry it didn't work out for you... there are plenty of good QH's out there and always remember that pretty don't ride!!!

I grew up with Arabians , a barn full, all closely linebred , and proud of it. Never would any of them think of not doing what was asked of them.
I now live with a linebred Quarter Horse mare, that I can place my 3 yr old and 2 yr old grandsons on her ,bareback, and she instantly drops her head and becomes a docile creature.
Like any other animal , you can look at pedigree , but you must purchase temperament , and in a horse you must also purchase TRAINING ! You do get what you pay for. An improperly "start" on a horse can cause so many issues , buy from a Trainer that has a reputation. And sit back and enjoy !

Are you using an agent to help you evaluate & purchase the right horse for you?

Thank you all. Yes we are using my daughter's trainer.
We will be looking at an 11 yr old Western Morgan gelding out of Wyoming on Monday who is well schooled and actually leased until 2-28-10. He was purchased by a broker who owns a ranch where they train, sell horses and do competition in all venues.
They have an auction coming up and this boy was to be auctioned off, but since he falls into my daughter's abilities, and our criteria, the owner may sell him outright to us when the lease is up. He is in shows the next 2 week-ends so unavailable for purchase. We really wanted a QH or Paint, but none are available with our criteria. So perhaps we were looking in the wrong direction...
Strange thing is that his call name is Prince. My daughter and my first experience with a horse was with a friend's horse named Prince. We were supposed to be there for an hour to teach my daughter horsemanship... Prince coliced, and we ended up staying for 4 hours trying to save his life. The owner was so distraught that I helped the vet with fluids etc... Sadly this beautiful, sweet boy had to be put down that fateful evening. Not a great experience for a newbie to horses, esp a little girl, who was only 9 years old at the time.
This Morgan's DOB is Memorial Day..... I dont know but that gives me chills.............................
So we shall see! God works in very strange ways!

What state are you in ? Perhaps someone can point you in the right direction .