Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where to go for cardiac doppler?

For me, it's 6 one way, half dozen the other to Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Buffalo distance-wise...anybody want to refer me to a reputable Vet/Cardiologist who you trust to do the Cardiac Dopplers on your dogs? Since I'm a "newbie" and it is my first experience with this, how does the procedure go and what can I expect price-wise? TIA!

Re: Where to go for cardiac doppler?

What state?

Ohio, Pennsylvania, or New York. If I have to, I'll also go to Maryland or West Virginia. I live just east of Erie, Pennsylvania.

Did you check the clinics on the OFA page? I see one next weekend, western NY, but not close to you. Also some farther away in MD, VA, eastern PA. What do the Pittsburgh area breeders do and who do they use?

What about a trip to Ohio State, in warmer weather? It's a haul, but you might be able to go there and back in one long day. A friend who is a vet and owns two Cavaliers from me speaks highly of them. Granted, she graduated from there, but it is the closest vet school to you, isn't it?

http://www.offa.org/clinics.html

Event for: CAVALIERS OF THE NORTHEAST
Event Date: 04/11/2010
Email Address: KMarsh7@verizon.net
State: PA
Category: Health Tests
Announcement:

ALL BREED HEALTH CLINIC

Sunday April 11, 2010

Richboro Veterinary Hospital 1096 Second Stree Pike Richboro, PA 18954

10:00 A.M. - 4:00 P.M.

OFA Hip X-Rays (without sedation) dogs 30 lbs. and under ONLY - Dr. John Linn, VMD - $70

OFA Patellaes - Dr. John Linn, VMD - $25

CERF Eye Exams - Dr. Robert Peiffer, VMD Diplomate AVCO - $35

Heart Ascultations - Dr. Megan King, DVM Diplomate ACVIM Cardiology - $35

Echocardiograms with color doppler (includes ascultation) - Dr. Josh Gidlewski, DVM Diplomate ACVIM Cardiology - $225

Microchips AKC-CAR with prepaid enrollment - $30

Registration Deadline: Monday April 5, 2010

Walk-ins allowed as time and space permits.

For More Information: Kelli Marshall 215-491-5826 KMarsh7@verizon.net (preferred contact)

That's a whole day's drive away from her.
Catty-corner, or diagonally opposite. part of state of PA.
Good one for me, though!

Too bad Richboro wasn't closer to Frederick, Maryland! I could've just left 2 days early and killed 2 birds with one stone! Actually, I was thinking I'm either gonna end up out at Ohio State or Cornell for the dopplers. Is there a certain age you all wait for to have your dopplers done, or doesn't it matter?

You might consider asking your veterinarian if there are any Board certified cardiologist that travel from practice to practice. I work for a practice in Rhode Island and there are a couple of cardiologist that visit our practice once or twice monthly upon request. I works out great for those in need of cardiac work ups or clearances. Good luck with your search!

Really? I had no idea they did that. I'll definately have to ask, as there's no sense driving hundreds of miles if I don't have to. Thank you very much, Melody.

I hope you'll be able to find a Cardiologist in your area that offer that option. The Cardiologist Group in my area covers RI,CT,& MA. It's great for our clients! Best of luck....