Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
breeding female weight?

About what weight are your females right before you breed them? I just had a missed breeding with my girl who weighted 76# and vet seemed to think that it was because she was overweight. I am not sure I agree so wanted to kinda get a poll for what weight.She seemed to think I should drop 10 to 15 pounds off of her. She is pointed and I think dropping that much weight from her is way to much. TIA

Re: breeding female weight?

I would recommend having another breeder look at her. If she is too fat that can affect it, but more than likely she may just be a few pounds overweight.

Most of my girls run in the 72# range, but I have 2 that are 78# and not fat at all.

Dropping that much weight off of her would likely do the opposite and her condition might suffer for it so as to make it harder for her to be healthy enough to carry and whelp a litter.

Is your bitch big?
My younger bitch is about 72 and my older is about 74 but she is a little bit taller than my younger. Both are in good shape and not fat at all. If your bitch has good bones and is solid, this weight could be normal for her, but if she is light boned than maybe she has some extra pounds on her... Good luck with everything

She is almost 3 and has good bone she is about 22in at the withers and could probably stand to loose maybe a couple of pounds, but not what the vet has said IMO.

I have not heard that being overweight causes problems with fertility unless a dog is grossly obese. In fact, you would think that it would be the opposite effect as in nature reproduction is encouraged in times of plenty and conception problems occur when there is a shortage of food and animals are in poor condition. I have definitely heard that whelping can be more difficult and there is a higher chance of complications when a bitch is overweight but I would not think it would be an issue for conception if it isn't a terrific amount of weight.

Sorry that she missed.