Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bitches water broke, how long before first puppy

bitches water broke at 8 am, she has no contractions yet, just some panting,nesting, temp from 99.6 to 100.2 has lots of milk, taking her for long walks, just nesting, still no contractions, how long have you had to wait for 1st pup, ck with vet and she said any time from 12 -24 hr well I have never had a girl go that long...any suggestions??? almost 9 hrs

Re: Bitches water broke, how long before first puppy

Any discharge? If so, what does it look like?

When the water broke from my bitch the first puppy was born maybe 2 hours later... but I don´t have that much of an experience, so perhaps other more experianced breeders can tell you

Stay relaxed, if she's not even pushing she's not there yet. If you do not see "green" discharge or anything unusual, placentas are fine and your girl should be fine. Always touch base with your vet though sometimes vets have a tendency to rush into unnecessary things too. Just nesting, really not ready yet. Nesting labor can last 24-48 hours believe it or not. Good Luck.

finally contractions !!!!nesting & panting harder now, her discharge is normal, clear, crossing my fingers, do not want a c-sec thanks for everyones help..will you know

do you know how many pups are expected?

finally got a puppy, 2 more to go, thanks