Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ANYONE FEED GRAIN FREE FOR ALLERGIES WITH SUCCESS??

What were your symptoms? What food did you finally wind up feeding?
Thx.

Re: ANYONE FEED GRAIN FREE FOR ALLERGIES WITH SUCCESS??

My girl has been good with taste of the wild.

Do you know what your dog is allergic to? I tested mine & she can't have potato either, which most grain free use.

Acana is something to check out. The list of ingredients is noted for each type/kind of dog food they produce:

http://www.championpetfoods.com/acana/products.php

My chocolate boy was about 2 years old when he started with the food allergies. He's allergic to corn and maybe chicken and chicken products. If a dog has food allergies, it's most often the corn in the feed. I now feed him California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato and is doing very well. Excellent coat, firm stools. I first suspected allergies with him when he had a raging yeast infection. It took a while to clear up the yeast and he's had one flare up. His derm. DVM and I put him on Ketoconazole 200 mg 3x's a week for maintenance. I believe there's a connection with food allergies and yeast infections, ask your vet.

My yellow boy is also allergic to corn. I noticed that he was licking and chewing his paws, scratching his ears and scooting his booty. He ended up with a huge hot spot on his bumb. I was feeding him PP Performance shredded (no blow torches please, that's because I didn't know better, I know now) . Corn is high on the list of ingredients so I switched him over to Taste of Wild Wetlands. He's doing well on this kibble. His coat is great and stools are firm.

Good luck with your allergy dog. Don't give up. Check out the list of ingredients of treats. Raw fruits (NO raisins or grapes) and veggies are pretty safe.

I had a girl that was very, very itchy last spring. Switched her to Canidae Salmon Grain Free. It completely took away the itchies.

Another dog that has true allergies. She is on California Natural Lamb and does well on it. It keeps her out of the vet and off the steroids but her symptoms are not completely gone but manageable.

Both these food are pricey but worth it if they work.

She's on Cal. Natural Lamb and Rice now and not doing well at all...

The comment about corn being the most common ingredient that dogs are allergic to is actually wrong. Corn accounts for less than 1.5% of allergic reactions to food in dogs. Just trying to dispel myth and change some misconceptions. While you may see improvement when removing corn it is most likely some other change, a higher quality kibble, taking out other ingredients that were in the other kibble, etc. If processed correctly corn can be very beneficial in dog food.