Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
doing an ultra sound on a 34 day pregnant, maiden female

I usually do relaxin pregnancy tests but changed Vets to someone I really think is extremely on it. He suggested an ultrasound and says she is pregnant and hears at least 2 or maybe 3 heart beats. He also says that these English Labs are very thick so it might be more but he sees a small litter. How acurate is this? Could there be more? Should I err on the 2 pup side and schedule a c-section because of such a small litter? TIA

Re: doing an ultra sound on a 34 day pregnant, maiden female

On my very thick girl and the vet that always does a great job or close to the right number on US said humm small maybe 4. Then we did an xray at 7 weeks in because i thought she was even thicker than her normal self. She said yeah i think 6 or 7. Started delivering and 10 puppies later i was not so sure what to think. Like i said she has always been with in a puppy or so.

Geez, Maybe I should be expecting more? It is my 1st Lab pregnancy with him and he did manage to help me get her pregnant with shipped semen.

what about an US on day 30 and see zero, anyone ever have any?

Yes, in small breeds with long torso. (Cesky Terriers, who also show negative on relaxin tests and US and then have two or three puppies!)

I always have more than the ultra sound shows. I usually do about day 32.

Before I decided on a C-section I'd do an x-ray about 5 days before her due date so you have a more accurate headcount.

Ultra sounds are great to confirm pregnancy but I wouldnt' rely on one for numbers.

Yes, I had a false negative on US with a singleton liter. Fortunately, my co-owner was observant and let me know she thought she was pregnant about a week before the due date, at which time we X-rayed and discovered one little skeleton. After that I switched to the Relaxin tests, but my vet no longer carries it, and I have too few litters to make it cost-effective to buy it myself. So tomorrow we go for an ultrasound. Wish us luck.

What is the going rate for the Relaxin test everyone is using?

5 tests are 100

But isn't the shelf life limited- something like 6 months? If you have a litter every year or two, it's cheaper to ultrasound.

Sorry for the stupid question but what is Relaxin tests and where can you buy them??