Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Getting Pen Ink out of Dog coat?

My wonderful, goofy, yellow lab got into a destructive mode and managed to chew up a ball point pen and now he has blue ink all over his coat. I tried to get it out...but not having any luck...any good ideas of how to get it out and get him cleaned up?

Re: Getting Pen Ink out of Dog coat?

Try some Dawn Dishwashing liquid and if that doesn't work, try some WD-40. I have also seen hairspray used on fabric so it might work on hair. Good luck!

Having three kids under 7 I have great experience with getting pen, crayons and markers off everything in my house..though never one of my dogs, yet. WD-40 works well, but it might be a little difficult to get it out of the coat. Hairspray, the cheap spray can/aerosol type, works wonders on walls and fabric when they have ink on them. I'd try this first as it wouldn't hurt the coat at all and washes out easily. You have to spray until the surface is wet and then dab or rub, not too hard, it out. Good luck!

Got this from a groomer one time, Mix 1 part white shampoo (for dogs)with silver/blueing hair color shampoo for (SORRY) old lady's hair I get it at Sallys Beauty Supply and mix in just a little perioxide. The trick to getting the stain out is to let this shampoo mix sit on the coat for at least 10 minutes. I used this mix a long time ago so I honestly don't remember the name of the people shampoo but any beauty supply store would have it. This worked wonders on any light colored dog that has stains from laying on cement, dirty crates, pee stains and ink pen mistakes as well as just brightening up the coat. We used it on Springers and Cocker coats.

Michelle Lewis
Having three kids under 7 I have great experience with getting pen, crayons and markers off everything in my house..though never one of my dogs, yet. WD-40 works well, but it might be a little difficult to get it out of the coat. Hairspray, the cheap spray can/aerosol type, works wonders on walls and fabric when they have ink on them. I'd try this first as it wouldn't hurt the coat at all and washes out easily. You have to spray until the surface is wet and then dab or rub, not too hard, it out. Good luck!

Yes - I'd try plain hairspray. It took red permanent marker off my new lazy boy chairs without a trace left.

Try straight rubbing alcohol. Or Hand Sanitizer with a high alcohol content. Works perfectly.

I agree re: the rubbing alcohol. Works wonders.

After putting several ink pens through the washer and dryer loaded with my expensive work uniforms(why no, I didn't learn the first time lmao), 90% rubbing alcohol will take it out without a trace. Don't even bother with the wimpy 70%, it won't work.