Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
orthopedic surgeon eastern PA/northern NJ??

Can someone suggest an orthopedic surgeon you know and have used personally and would recommend (eastern PA/northern NJ area)?

I've been waiting 2 weeks for my vet to make a recommendation so I can start gathering information/arrange a consultation and make an educated decision, but when I again brought up the subject yesterday he told me to go to the U of P site for information whereas last week he told me he'd make some phone calls to U of P. So I went to the U of P site and it says by veterinarian referral only, unless an emergency which in that case supposed to go directly to their ER.

Basically the situation is I have a 9 month old Lab pup with one bad hip, other looks good. I know the philosophy to treat the dogs and not the xrays and I've owned and lived with a OFA graded severely dysplastic dog for over 12 years who did very well without any surgical intervention. But I can see already this girl is not going to have the quality of life and mobility I want for one of my puppies without some help, and most importantly be pain free. So she's not a candidate for TPO at this point, vet has discussed total hip replacement, and also mentioned there are other procedures (grafts/shelf) being developed but doesn't know alot about them and their success rate.

I've briefly asked around with a couple breeders and have heard prices of approx $3000 - $4500 per hip. My vet thinks this procedure has the best track record for a good outcome. I know with any procedure there are possible risks and complications though.

Any referrals would be appreciated, or any experiences you could share about the surgery.

Re: orthopedic surgeon eastern PA/northern NJ??

not sure if Essex county NJ is north enough for you but there is an excellent surgeon out of the Animal Emergency and Referral center..West Caldwell NJ
Dr. Hunt 973-226-3282 Bd Cert. ortho surg.

I have used him for cruciate repair after interviewing 2 other surgeons..he was the most qualified, and had the most experience. He is very honest and has been around a long time.
Hope this helps.

I second Dr. Hunt. He is an excellent ortho surgeon. He even saved my girl with gallbladder rupture (rare and many surgeons don't have experience with it).

C.A.R.E.S. (Center For Animal Referral and Emergency Services)
Langhorn PA
(215) 750 - 2774

Dr. David Puerto DVM
Diplomat ACVS

I have used him several times and am very happy. Several of my friends travel out from NJ to use this guy.

Good luck
Heidi

Thank you so much. This gives me a start in making some calls! I know a hip replacement can't be done before 12 months old, however would like to research the graft and shelf procedures too since they can be done earlier, so hopefully I can ask them about that too.

what is a shelf and graft procedure? Can you post a link or two about it?

"Dorsal Acetabular Rim (DAR) - This surgery consists of bone grafts being taken from other areas of the pelvis to build up the rim on the hip socket (cup). The idea is for the femoral head to have a deeper socket to fit into. It's relatively new, so there is some question as to how a dog will do into old age - there aren't many older dogs that have had it done."

"Shelf Arthroplasty

The purpose of shelf arthroplasty is to form an extension over a shallow acetabulum to improve joint stability. Diminished depth of the acetabulum is most often the result of osteophyte formation. This procedure is supposed to improve coverage of the femoral head, prevent stretching of the joint capsule and thus eliminate and reduce pain. But as yet, there is no evidence that this surgery alters the progression of CHD in young dogs."

"DARthroplasty has been employed recently to treat hip dysplasia in young dogs. With the goal of relieving pain, this new surgical technique involves transplanting bone from the pelvis to the hip socket in order to stabilize the joint. Since controlled studies are lacking, and only a limited number of surgeons can perform this procedure, the DARthroplasty should be considered investigational until more information is gathered."

Thank you for the explanation.

Also check Red Bank Veterinary Hospital in Tinton Falls, NJ the link is

http://www.rbvh.net/services/surgery.htm

RBVH has four orthopedic surgeons on staff. I have always worked with Kathy Salmeri but have heard great recommendations on all four. The page also links to an article saying they now perform cementless total hip replacement. This is the largest privately owned veterinary hospital in the country. It is a referral hospital and is open 24/7 for emergencies. The hospital is close to the Garden State Parkway (exit 109) and easily reached from other major highways. Even U Penn sends referrals to RBVH. The place is amazing.