Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Coastal SC LRC Venue Question

Hi Folks- For all of you that make the trek to our show in January every year and brave the elements, either good or bad, we're curious as to whether you would prefer to continue to be outside with our tent or moved inside. We are in the process of making arrangements for our 2011 show and would like input from the folks that matter most (besides the dogs, of course!). Please let us know!!!

Re: Coastal SC LRC Venue Question

Hi Jim and Elizabeth
First congrats on your terrific wins with your young boys at Coastal and Piedmont. They are gorgeous!
I have traveled down to Caost for the past 4 or 5 years and I would prefer that the show remain outside.
"Our" labs always look and move better outside :)

Inside where? If you're talking inside the building with the other breeds, then I say no. Doesn't feel like enough room there. But if you are considering moving location, might be a thought. The dogs love outside. A host hotel location would be great! Dogs outside during the day and Lowcounty seafood inside in warmth.

OUTSIDE no matter what.

I love showing outside, but I was there last month when it was rainy and cold. I don't know how fair that is for the judges to judge wet, cold dogs all day. I also don't know how they can judge movement when the dogs are sloshing through standing water. If you could just guarantee a lovely, sunny South Carolina day for the show?????

Sure it was raining and flooded and sometimes snow flurries fly but this is a Labrador in his element. Pretend you are duck hunting.

outside is my vote,,,it wold be nice to have the low country boil at night inside somewhere,,warm and dry,,,

Bdr
Inside where? If you're talking inside the building with the other breeds, then I say no. Doesn't feel like enough room there. But if you are considering moving location, might be a thought. The dogs love outside. A host hotel location would be great! Dogs outside during the day and Lowcounty seafood inside in warmth.

I doubt a host hotel location will be an option or what the OP's were leaning towards. That's JMHO.

Inside. I'm tired of freezing .

I vote keep it outside. I remember how small the rings are inside. It would not stay the nice big show for long. I have been at other shows and had the same rainy mess. Shows happen.

Stay outside!!!! This was just a bizarre year!!! Please don't go inside.....

I think people do like it outdoors. Today it is 57 and Sunday it is to be 64. You just never know what you are going to get, but the dogs look better in a natural light (or rain)

I don't know all the complexities of moving locations, but Charleston is such a beautiful city. Just a shame to be outback of the fairgounds/flea market by the livestock shed.

Always a difficult question for those of us who put on specialities/se in the South during Jan and Feb. I've attended the last 4 or 5 years and remember ice hanging from the tents a few years ago - yet still prefer to be outside for showing, however maybe on higher ground so the water doesn't pool 12" deep under the tent where everyone is trying to stay dry. Heaters this year were a huge ++++

Thanks for asking.

I definitely have to say inside. Although the dogs love the cold, some of us less furry humans don't tolerate the frigid temps very well. I like to be able to concentrate on the dogs rather than trying to keep from freezing.

If there is a decent location available inside I vote for inside. I haven't been back since the year we had half an inch of freezing rain hanging on the x-pens. The weather is very unpredictable and I'm tired of being miserable at shows. There are some that shows there are no options but one could be ok indoors. Personally I'm glad Atlanta moved indoors this year!

I vote for outside, only outside.

Inside. I'm so tired of being cold and wet at that show. Love everything else about it.

OUTSIDE. I hate cold wet weather but I went properly prepared and I honestly was warm and dry. No it wasn't pleasant but more times than not, we've shown in dry weather. Mid Jersey this year was 40 degrees and pouring rain and no heaters. It's just part of showing Labradors.

We love shows outside but if there was some way to have the ring on higher ground where we aren't sloshing through water that would be great! I think we can manage the cold ok (and the heaters helped a lot!) but the inches of water do make it difficult. Either way we'll be back! Thanks for asking.