Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1 week old puppy with a firm gassy belly

I have a 1 week old pup who has otherwise been doing well. This morning the puppy has seemed to be uncomfortable with a firm/round belly. I've tried a lubricated thermometer inserted rectally to stimulate a bowel movement with no results. Anything else I could try?

Re: 1 week old puppy with a firm gassy belly

I know a pug breeder who swears by Mylicon (simethicone) which is a baby anti-gas medication, available at any drug store. I've used it a time or two, but I would call your vet and ask him/her for recommendations or dosage of any medication you give.

I agree on using simethicone drops for babies, Mylicon or any brand, for puppies in distress with gas.Is in my whelping kit so that I have it on hand, and I replace it each year if I don't breed. Weigh the pup and give appropriate fraction of baby dose IF your vet doesn't know the answer. If the middle of the night, after days going round the clock, just give a couple drops at a dosing time if you can't think/calculate for a nwborn.

Also have simethicone or Mylanta Anti-Gas on hand in adult dose for giving while on way to vet in bloat or near bloat case. Gas-Ex comes in a melt in your mouth strip, which I have not yet tried for dogs, but I bought some! Of course tell your vet and look at other ingredients in the formula you buy.

If he doesn't poop, you may need to have him vet checked this morning. Good luck.

It is so hard to tell when they poop, Mom is so quick to clean up. Unless I constantly hover over the whelping box, I won't know.

I have used Mylicon in the past with good results. But a year ago I had an 8 day old who had a hard tummy and started crying with gas pains. The cries were worse that the usual gassy pup cries. I called 2 different vets in a panic and finally just rushed the puppy to one (both offices were putting me off) The receptionist asked me to take a seat...I begged her to get a vet..when they heard the cries they came and took the pup. He had a twised intestine. He died within min of getting there.