Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Litter pick

Would you ever settle for being 5th pick in a litter if it was from 2 dogs and pedigrees you really, really wanted a bitch from which may never be bred together again?

Re: Litter pick

A great question. Here is the answer. The question could be answered using the ABC's of Breeding.

The puppy you get might be exactly what you want. Perfect in every way shape or form - regardless of "pick" number.

You will not know this until she turns about 1 yr of course. So take her if you like the pedigree.

Sometimes the "pick" puppy does not turn out.

My first instinct was to say yes. But I suppose it depends on where you are in your breeding program. Years ago I bought a 3rd pick from a top breeder. I was very happy to have the puppy. She has produced well for me. It would have taken me forever (probably never) to get anywhere.

I did exactly that 25 years ago. I do not regret it at all. You must be prepared to be ruthless with your breeding program, and only keep the best from her. Use the pedigree, that is what you purchased. If you are after just a show dog, you will wait a very long time, breeding your own show dog is alot easier than buying it.

Pedigree is not everything. I wouldnt take a puppy with no rear angulation, bad front, etc;, over a pedigree. By the time the 5th pick rolls around, there may be some flaws you wouldnt want to waste your time with. JMO

CD
Pedigree is not everything. I wouldnt take a puppy with no rear angulation, bad front, etc;, over a pedigree. By the time the 5th pick rolls around, there may be some flaws you wouldnt want to waste your time with. JMO

There are consistent litters out of certain pedigrees where you don't see the blatant flaws you mentioned.

I have never had a pup with *no rear angulation*. Less rear angulation, yes. None? Absolutely not. I have seen better rear angulation in some pups than others and we can also see overdone rear angulation. I would not want a pup with the angulation overdone.

A poor front, I wouldn't want although it seems more acceptable today.

I *think* what the OP is saying, if the pup's conformation looks good, you like the pedigree, would you take pick 5? I absolutely would if the background is what I am looking for. For example, good orthopedic and other clearances going back several to many generations is something important to me. If there's a strong bitch line, that would perk my interest. Alot more but there are many factors to take into consideration.

If some of the things that are important to me are there, yes I would be happy to take pick 5 from the right litter. Sometimes pick 5 turns out as good if not better than the pick of the litter. Haven't we found that out seeing a pup from 1 of our litters in a pet home, all grown up?

What I forgot to say is, it would have to be a litter bred by breeder I am comfortable with, surely not someone that hasn't been in the breed for a good amount of time.

Replying to: "Pedigree is not everything. I wouldnt take a puppy with no rear angulation, bad front, etc;, over a pedigree. By the time the 5th pick rolls around, there may be some flaws you wouldnt want to waste your time with. JMO"

It could also be a very consistant litter, with no noticable differences. Also one person's opinion on the pick puppy could be a different opinion for someone else. Not everybody sees the pups the same way.

One person's 5th pick may be another person's 2nd or 3rd pick....its a matter of taste.

I recently sold 1st pick male and 1st pick female (1st pick male being the 1st pick overall) on co owns and kept 2nd pick male and 2nd pick female here for myself as a back up.
Well, mine are both better at this point in the game. So you just never know.
This is a pedigree I couldn't risk ending up with nothing from so I retained half the litter for growing out.
Sure glad I did, they are breathtaking

You should not compare the puppies with its litter mates. Compare the puppy to the standard. A 5th pup from a litter might be better than the first pick from another litter.
Is it a good looking well balanced puppy?
Does he has what you are looking for?

I would probably take her if I realy realy wanted a pup from these 2 dogs and the pedigree and with the possibility of thouse two not being bred again.
The 5th pick girl can end up being the most successful brood bitch of her "sister´s"... even if she is not quite successful in the show ring.

Exactly !

breeder
Exactly !
I also agree.

Let me say, I am not referring to a breeder with a big litter sired by a popular boy and out of their just okay girl. I'm speaking about a breeder thats been around a long time and knows their own multi-generation line well.

There are litters from which you could not GIVE me first pick. The question should be, is this puppy good enough. 5th or any other number is pretty meaningless.