Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
PRA, Optigen

I have to be honest, I have all PRA clear and CERF normal dogs, thought I understood the disease but not all the testing.

I was researching a pedigree and saw a dog and bitch with Progressive Retinal Atrophy on their CERF results, they were bred together (!) but pup out of them is CERF clear and is Optigen A. I thought the pup would have to be at least Optigen B, but must be obviously misunderstanding the whole thing.

Please enlighten me.

Thanks

Re: PRA, Optigen

Are you reading this on OFA. If so think it just means they have been tested for PRA meaning Optigen.

Breeder
Are you reading this on OFA. If so think it just means they have been tested for PRA meaning Optigen.

Yes, that is where I got this from, so if it says Progressive Retinal Atrophy it under the CERF comments, it just means they've been tested for it but don't have it?

But under the same comments section for another pedigree it says entropion, and the dog did have a slight entropion so I'm confused.

CERF does not issue certificates for dogs that do not pass the requirements. Consequently, there could not be a CERF listing on OFA that includes a condition that would not pass. Some eye conditions are considered "breeder option" for Labradors and will be noted in the comments section of the certificate. Certain cataracts, iris and retinal conditions are not considered a hereditary problem in Labs. What is considered acceptable is different for each breed. If the dog has a certificate number, then it is clear of all the more serious conditions identified as probably inherited.

get the facts
CERF does not issue certificates for dogs that do not pass the requirements. Consequently, there could not be a CERF listing on OFA that includes a condition that would not pass. Some eye conditions are considered "breeder option" for Labradors and will be noted in the comments section of the certificate. Certain cataracts, iris and retinal conditions are not considered a hereditary problem in Labs. What is considered acceptable is different for each breed. If the dog has a certificate number, then it is clear of all the more serious conditions identified as probably inherited.

Thank you!

We are all still learning everyday. Not everyone contacts OFA site with the Optigen results. But think the ones that do show up on the site with all the clearance and it just says pra, meaning tested. I can not find where you go to look for results. I know it is there. I've done it. Maybe someone else can tell you more.

I have a bitch that passed Cerf. but was genetically
affected for PRA. She did not show changes in her eye exams until age 5.

out of my kennel I did have an older girl test affected PRA as well, she has cleared her CERF up until this year, she is 7 years old.
the Night blindness is just starting to affect her.