Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Protein and Fat %'s

Question for the forum. I have a 26 mo. boy that eats TOW Wetlands: Protein 32%, Fat 18%. What is the significance of these %'s of protein and fatwith his age, stage of development, etc. Although this is a grain free kibble, he may be allergic to sweet potatoes. I'm thinking of switching to EVO Herring and Salmon (no sweet potatoes) but Protein is 42.98% and Fat is 18.6%. Any other suggestions on allergy kibble?

Re: Protein and Fat %'s

Kathy M.
Question for the forum. I have a 26 mo. boy that eats TOW Wetlands: Protein 32%, Fat 18%. What is the significance of these %'s of protein and fatwith his age, stage of development, etc. Although this is a grain free kibble, he may be allergic to sweet potatoes. I'm thinking of switching to EVO Herring and Salmon (no sweet potatoes) but Protein is 42.98% and Fat is 18.6%. Any other suggestions on allergy kibble?

32% protein for grain-free sounds more like it. The protein and fat are in good proportion if he's fairly
active.

Pro Plan SSS is the only food I'm familiar with for allergy but heard they changed that formula too. I stay far away from Purina after all of their changes.

I alternate the three types (Wetlands, Bison, Salmon); I started mixing a 16 lb bag of TOTW with a 30# bag of Calif Natural Lamb and Rice. They seem to be happy with the change/addition.

It could be that your dog is sensitive to the type of protein and not the sweet potatos. Hard to tell, though, unless you do an elimination diet.

What I'm looking to understand is this: Does the protein level have to stay the same as he matures or is this something that can be tapered off? Right now he's getting 32% with the TOW wetlands. The level of Protein (42.9%) in the Evo Salmon & Herring, no sweet potatoes in the kibble, seems high no tapering back here! The Fat level in the Evo, 18.6%, is the same as what he's getting now. Can this also be tapered down?

And yes, I will have to consider the source of protein that he may be allergic to. Thanks for the heads up on this issue.

We feed TOW Pacific to everyone, but after a litter and weaning I put mom on EVO Turkey to put coat and weight back on, works wonders. I don't know how the EVO would work in the long run for dogs that aren't doing field work, maybe the protein and fat would be too much for just normal feeding. We do increase pups some with Extreme Athlete at about 6-7 months when they start going through the bag puppy stage, seems to help fill them out. I would do the EVO for them too but the price is a killer.

How much Evo are you feeding? I feed what is recommended portion and I didn't get weight gain as you describe. Feed too much dogs get loose stool.

mom is getting 2 cups twice a day, seems to be ok with that amount, gaining and her coat is looking really nice. I will probably only do it another month, she will be 3 months post whelp then.

I didn't start my youngsters on TOTW until they were almost 18 months of age - the cal/phos was too high for pups.

As to tapering off as the dogs approach senior years,I was feeding EVO to a very old dog when I stopped feeding a raw with bones diet. I just fed less of the food to my senior - less active, but still needed good protein; I supplemented with pureed veggies and an egg for one meal, to help with fillers. Also added cooked oatmeal for energy carbs and to fill them up more if they were hungry, espec in the cold months.

Kathy M.
What I'm looking to understand is this: Does the protein level have to stay the same as he matures or is this something that can be tapered off? Right now he's getting 32% with the TOW wetlands. The level of Protein (42.9%) in the Evo Salmon & Herring, no sweet potatoes in the kibble, seems high no tapering back here! The Fat level in the Evo, 18.6%, is the same as what he's getting now. Can this also be tapered down?

And yes, I will have to consider the source of protein that he may be allergic to. Thanks for the heads up on this issue.

42.9% protein in Evo food? That's unacceptably high. I wouldn't use the brand if they think 43% is healthy.

Thank you Holey Moley for your like thinking. I always tell me students, "Go with your first thought, your're right 80% of the time." My first thought about the Evo herring and Salmon protein 42+% was much too high.

I was thinking Evo H & S would be a good alternative to possible food allergy to sweet potatoes. May have to rethink the source of protein (fowl: quail, duck) my boy is getting now as possible allergy source.

Thanks for other suggestions from the Forum.