Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ng/ml vs nmol/L

Hi;

I am looking for some feedback here, my bitch came into heat on August 23rd, and here are her numbers since:

Aug 29: .6nmol/L
Sept2: .9nmol/L
Sept5: 3.0nmol/L
Sept10: 26.2nmol/L - A.I'd
Sept11: A.I'd

Unfortunately she did not take. And I am wondering if my numbers were off? I dont know how to convert nmol/L to ng/ml... But the reason I am asking is that we are almost up for our 2nd try and would like to make sure we are dead on. I will be performing a guarded culture, but I wanted to see the feedback on her previous numbers.

TIA.

Re: ng/ml vs nmol/L

To go from nmol to ng divide the number by 3.14. So the first day you AI'd her her progesterone was over 8 so your timing should have been fine.

We will assume both sire and dam are proven?

The sire is proven, this is the dam's first breeding. The fresh semen was 100% healthy, swimmers were swimming like no tomorrow. Thyroid on the bitch is healthy.

A couple of things to ponder here. Just because her progesterone rose, does not necessarily mean she ovulated. So don't get so hung up on that.

Another thing, could she have had some sort of infection?

Is she an "alpha" or a low ranking beta?

Did she reabsorb the fetuses for some reason?

There are myriad reasons a bitch may not get into whelp, the least of which is the condition of the sperm. Check it all out.

Not to mention that just because sperm are moving it doesn't always positively correlate with fertility of those sperm.

Just because the numbers go up doesn't always mean that she actually ovulated.

Just because you add sperm to an environment that has eggs doesn't always mean they are going to meet in a favorable way.