Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
anyone familar with Brittany health issues?

Would appreciate info as a friend just lost their 15 1/2 yr old lab and is looking into a Brittany? Thanks in advance. Couldn't find much info on parent club web site?

Re: anyone familar with Brittany health issues?

Britts have a lot of the same issues as labs, but quite a bit of epilepsy in some lines. Hip dyplasia, etc. We had American Brittanys for 30 yrs. I showed them and my husband did field trials. Some can be VERY hyper especially if they have a lot of field trial blood. Being a pointing breed, they want to HUNT. They will need a very secure kennel, backyard, etc. Quite a bit more coat care than Labs. They can have a very soft temperment, so a lot of care needs to be taken in training. They do well in obedience usually. They are generally good in the house if they are not too terribly hyper. Going to need a lot of exercise. We have some French Britts now. Their temperment is a little different. They are a little terrier like. I'm not sure that's the right word, but they are a little different. Generally a little smaller. I really prefer the American Britt, I think.

Re: anyone familar with Brittany health issues?

Thank you I will email your comments to her. To much dog for me. The few I have been exposed to were very dog aggressive. To each his own. I love my Labradorks. They love to be in your lap and then go out and hunt if the gun comes out. One of them even ran a few field trials. He had a fan club as they were amazed a short show dog wanted to run. Thanks again.