Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Placing in new home

I have a question. Due to unforeseen circumstances (losing my job) I am forced to place my five year old female. She is spayed, current on vaccines, has a wonderful pedigree and is a very pretty, sweet girl. I have a home for her, a nice couple with a fenced acre who were looking for an older dog to love and spoil. My question is how much would you charge?

Re: Placing in new home

I wouldn't charge anything if it was the right situation. I often place my retired girls (5-6 yrs old)that are spayed/housebroken and trained for no charge or cost of spay. It is more important to me that they are in a good "forever" home.

I never charge anything either - I always feel blessed to find a loving home that will spoil one of my older girls.... I tell them to put any money they want to pay me into her care/well being! I think it would be greedy to ask for compensation... that's just my opinion.

There is no price to put on a good home for an older dog's retirement years. Be thankful you found a home who will love and spoil her.

How about a donation to something Labrador related like the LRCP rescue, Labrador Life Line or Labmed?

It's a show of committment to the dog and benefits other dogs that don't have it as good.

We are a home for only seniors/retirees. Have gotten 2 from one particular breeder at no cost. Our deal, I would contribute what I could to Guide Dogs for the Blind. Talk about a win/win/win/win situation, the breeder, Guide Dogs, our new precious famly member, and especially us. The same could be applied to a lab rescue, LabMed, etc.

How about a donation to something Labrador related like the LRCP rescue, Labrador Life Line or Labmed?

It's a show of committment to the dog and benefits other dogs that don't have it as good.

LOL!! Are you kidding!

This is a great idea, but I'm pretty sure the unemployed original poster would rather have a "donation".

To the OP...sorry you are going through this. I'm sure it's not easy. Do what feels right to you no matter what everyone else says. I also place dogs into homes at no charge to the pet home, but then again, I have never placed a dog because of the same circumstances.

Good luck. I hope you can find a job soon.

It is great to place dogs in the right home at no charge, but it is also ok to charge for them.

I value my dogs enough to find them a great home, but I would hope the potential new owners value them enough to pay for them.

The price of a puppy is certainly acceptable, but if I found a great home I would accept less, if it felt right.

Mike

I charge the same as my puppy price for adults that are under 5 years of age and no charge for adults 5 years and older. That is just me though and I find that most people are willing and prepared to pay at least 1/2 your puppy price for a healthy adult dog regardless of age.

Breeder
I charge the same as my puppy price for adults that are under 5 years of age and no charge for adults 5 years and older. That is just me though and I find that most people are willing and prepared to pay at least 1/2 your puppy price for a healthy adult dog regardless of age.

Same here. Just a note, if dogs have a hunt title, watch out for trainers who want to train dog further and "flip" them.

I recently had this where some callers accidently let out there intentions. I keep co ownership so they cannot sell with papers without me knowing. I ask for references, especially a vet reference.