Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Nearly at the end of the rope

I need help and ideas here PLEASE.
I went to a breeders home over a month ago who needed to place a few of his labs. He had a beautiful chocolate year old that i purchased, thinking of putting her in the ring. Each of our labs,5 of them, sleep in our home and part of our family. I brought this girl home, I knew she had never been inside but have trained many and it wouldnt be an issue. Was i ever so wrong! Beauty will go out, ill take her out, as soon as she comes in she will pee or poop in her crate or in the floor. This has been going on with no changes that she will get it. I really want to keep her, im not throwing her outdoors here but i dont know what else to do. Ive tried and tried everything. Ive never had one that didnt at least potty when they went out. This is all new to me as all of them are fairly easy to train.
Any ideas please share! Thank you in advance.

Re: Nearly at the end of the rope

Sounds like Beauty was not raised in a clean environment and it will likely take many, many months to untrain her.
dogs are clean by nature and when they are not, it's because they got used to being dirty.
what a shame she was never let inside. I have a kennel but ALL of my dogs are house trained, crate trained and I have never, ever had a person say any of ours had issues with being clean when we've placed dogs.
Hang in there, sending her back will be the worst for her because obviously she wasn't treated well.
Put her in a vari kennel, a 400 if she can stand up in it. The smaller the space, the more she may decide to hold it so she doesn't have to stand in it.

Treat her like an 8 week old, set your stove timer , and take her out every hour on the hour, make sure she hears the bell go off. Make a big fuss, about going out to PODDIE ! It will take a couple of days, but you are bound to catch her in time for her to do it outside, then that is your opportunity to train. Do not give her house privledges until she has kept her crate clean , then do one room at a time. Be patient, crate training can be done in a weekend, but it will be your only job that weekend.

I have her in a smaller crate now and limited her to our laundry room where she goes right out the back door. The part i dont understand is the gentleman i bought her from had a kennel for her but was hooked to the barn for her to come in and stay warm, go out and use the potty in the kennel attached, it was a nice setup ill have to say and she was kept clean thats the part i dont get.
I have tried fussing, she just wags her tail as if she has no clue im griping at her. Ive never seen anything like it. I do let her out every 30 min. since i do work from home.
I dont think she cares to lay in her mess, she just falls right down in it like its not there?

Well perhaps she is brain damaged or simply not blessed with an overabundance of gray matter. Contrary to liberal beliefs, we are not all crated equal. Your only course of action appears to be what others have suggested about going back to square one.

Do you take her out on 6 ft leash? Same spot each time and no "fun" until she has tinked- then treat with a tiny piece of chicken or some other HIGH value treat. Then she can "run" in yard etc- Then back in crate.
Not sure I have explained myself clearly, but the point is not to just "let her out" -. I have a pet sitting bus. & I have found that sometimes that is the "missing link" to successful potty train. People letting them "out" to play . Its not the same as potty training time.
I also think it needs to be as other poster mentioned- crate ONLY to start. Just like shes 8 wk old. ( not a part of laundry room)
Please Dont give up - she needs you!

Give her a soap suppository (mild soap), which will force her to go. When she does, praise her.

I've done it many times, and it works.

She isn't dumb, she's confused.

JMHO

Take her where the other dogs have NOT gone. It sounds as though she had her own space to mark
and/OR
perhaps she was unwittingly trained to go on a hard surface? If so, find one outside! A sidewalk block or pavers can re-create concrete for her. IT's a more ingrained habit than puppies that might need litter or leaves or shavings from home in order to find the right spot.
Will she go on a lead, even a long line, maybe in the front yard or drive? Then stay out there. If she is hooked up where you can watch her, if she starts to go, you rush outside, no, "Poddie/duty/make/hurry up OUTSIDE". Also take some of her urine and feces outside--a wet paper towel can carry her urine. Leave as much as you can out where she can have her own potty area.
Yes, and make a big fuss when she finally goes as other poster said. I hope it is warm where you are, for it can take a long time for her to go. Matching/adult suppositories can help, as long as you have time to wait. You don't mention her having loose stools or any problem that way.

I had one with the opposite problem--she held it for TWO DAYS until I figured it out and found her a private place. It was problematic for a month, for she would hold it until she was about to burst rather than go where the other dogs had gone, as she was low in the pack as new girl. Now she is perfect in her habits!

When you take her out, ignore her until she goes. Don't make eye contact. Cross your arms. The only thing you do is say some potty command (I say "hurry up".) If she doesn't go within about 5 minutes, she goes back to the crate without any attention. Try again later. If she does go, lots of praise. The business before pleasure theory (pun intended!)

Gail R
Give her a soap suppository (mild soap), which will force her to go. When she does, praise her.

I've done it many times, and it works.

She isn't dumb, she's confused.

JMHO

I second this. It'll make her go no matter what, and she'll get used to "go" outside sooner or latter. She has been damaged. It'll take a lot to fix, but it can be done.

I think teaching the clicker can be advantageous as well. It is a marvelous tool for shaping behavior and once the dog learns the reward marker (the click) it is easy to shape anything-including potty habits. good luck.

I don't know if this idea will help, but I feed my 7 week old pups outside (yes, even in the snow, I feed them next to the house). They then naturally eliminate right after being fed, while they are still outside. This speeds up potty training.

Be sure you are not free feeding as then dogs don't get a regular elimination pattern and need to go all the time.

I sure do feel for you. I"m in the middle of getting our 5 month old shihtzu mix potty trained so she no longer used her piddle pads but goes outside more frequently as the weather is getting nicer.

What could help your chocolate girl with learning to go outside to potty is taking her outside by herself to the same area and use the words " Go Potty ". If it takes her 20 or 30 minutes, stay out with her until she finally goes then praise her like she's just won a gold medal while giving her a special treat.

I've found that if I let my 5 month old shihtzu mix outside with any of our other dogs, she will get distracted and want to play before pottying.

Some dogs who have been raised in a kennel situation will take a bit longer for their light bulbs to come on as far as getting house trained.

What is her personality like...does she behave submissively in the house ? Is she a neurotic, hyper type dog ? Is she a submissive pee-er in the house ?

she needs to be on the end of a leash attached to YOU for 48 hours. Hard, but it works.