Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
puppy with two eye colors?

Hi,
Was wondering if anyone has had puppies with two different eye colors? All yellow litter,14 weeks old, puppy has one brown eye and one hazel eye. Eyes of puppy have been checked and are healthy. Vet told owner she must have Husky behind her.

Dam is eeBB and my 4th generation, sire was never DNA'd for coat color. Is it possible there could be Chocolate in background that could cause this? Sire's pedigree is not in question, he is very well bred. I did the collection and AI, so I know that is not a problem.

I kept a litter mate...female puppy, and wonder if I should have her DNA'd for color?

TIA

Re: puppy with two eye colors?

I know that in people the genetics for eye color are more than simple dominant/ recessive, despite what they are teaching my child in school. I would imagine that eye color in Labs is polygenic too. Furthermore, there is a lot of genetic material exchanged in the early part of life, before the pup is really a pup. There could have been a spontaneous mutation leading to bi-colored eyes, with melanin differences as there are in mosaic spotted yellow Labs. Other thoughts:
The Lab originated as a mixed breed, and breed historians note that there have been crosses into herding, sporting, etc. breeds even in fairly recent decades, and then there is the old Newfie genetic link. It is also possible that the eyes will continue to change in color, as they do in chocolates long past this age. What is her pigment on her nose and eye rims? Further thoughts: if the wolf is the ancestor, then amber eyes are actually the wild version of eye color, way back there in the mists of time. It wouldn't hurt to DNA the color on the littermate you have, but I don't know if that will help with the eye color dilemma. It would be interesting to know what the odd-eyed pup has as eye color in maturity. So, yeah, after all those words, I don't really know, it is interesting, and not as worrying as if your pick had the odd color!

Just because the pick doesn't have the odd bi- color eyes, doesn't mean she dosn't have some concerns! Need more thorough background on 4-5 generations back. Chocolates????

Don't worry. More than likely it's just an anomaly during development. Something along the lines of a random mosaic. If you are worried in any way, just do a coat color test.

See http://www.labbies.com/genetics2.htm. Doesn't mention eyes specifically but if you read the section on brindling and mosaics it would make sense.

Have gone back 5 generations....all yellows and blacks. My girl has a chocolate in the 6th generation...can follow my line back 9 generations with coat colors with the pedigrees I have. Still doing research on the 6th generation on the remaining pedigree- have only a few dogs to find- so far blacks and yellows.

I had a black pup in my last litter with a hazel eye. There is a chocolate carrying parent.

Thank you, I've read this before, but never thought to go back and refresh my mind and collate.

BTW, the family adores their little one, and thinks this makes her extra special. It will be interesting to see if the eye remains a different color when she is older.

Probably of no importance but I have know of
2 humans with 2 totally different eye colors
and they were both sterile and could never
have children.

I know a man with two different color eyes. He and his sweet wife have two young children. So it is not necessarily a sterility linked trait, anymore than it is in cats and dogs. He's not deaf either! The children have normal coloring to their eyes, as does their mother.

My foundation bitch had 2 different eye colors,she had 2 shades of brown and she did in fact carry chocolate. She was also very fertile and lived a good long life until she passed away last week at the age of 15 years and 5 months and never had any issues with her eyes. I miss her very much and would love to look into those eyes again if only I could.

Yes, I would say it could sure be the chocolate back there, sure you have heard they can cause, mad dogs, wild dogs, blind dogs, ugly dogs, gold eye dogs, fat dogs, skinny dogs and on and on, must be the chocolate ! DUH !

Gosh, I'm not flaming the chocolates...just looking for a answer since yellows are suppose to have brown eyes and I have seen Chocolates with the same color of eyes as this puppies one eye.

If my little girl should carry chocolate, at least I would know and take that in consideration when & if she is bred in her future. In addition, I am also not flaming yellows that carry chocolate. I know of many nice Labs that are YC.

I'm the kind of person who likes to learn everything I can about breeding. I have been doing this for a few years now. This is a oddity I have not seen before in my lines. With every litter it is a new learning experience and being able to share and learn here on Jill's, I consider a wonderful opportunity that I deeply appreciate. This forum has many knowledgeable breeders that may have the same experience that I have had...you don't learn if you don't ask.

I have taken many seminars and have read about every book I can get a hold on. Thank you for those who have been kind and helpful!

I do know there are some well known blacks that throw very light eyes, some just don't seem to remember that fact. So not just the chocolates, I agree there.