Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stud fee

I was wondering what a fair stud fee would be for a boy who is almost 4, has sired 4 gorgeous litters (oldest is going on 1 yr) , is not yet a Champion but shown, has his CGC and is working toward his first OB title. He has all clearances (Hips, Elbows, Eyes, Heart, EIC and his CNM is being sent in on Monday) . He does come from a very good pedigree, is as sweet as can be and a very nice looking boy. 2 of my own girls were bred to him, and I was very pleased. I am also very pleased he was consistent with the 2 outside bitches as well. 1st bitch there was no stud fee (co-owner received stud service). 2nd bitch owner I charged what would probably be charged for an inexperienced boy ($650)from what I have read).

Any insight would be great. I know I will not have bitch owners knocking down my door, but I want to set a fair stud fee for anyone who is interested in using him.

Re: Stud fee

Stud fees vary a bit depending on part of the country. Seems that the 'average' is around $900.

I do a 200. breeding fee, balance of 600.00 due when 2 or more lives puppies are whelped. Seems fair to me and those I deal with

Does your boy have *any* points? 900 is for a finished/proven stud.

My males are all the same price no matter what their age. Even boys with pre-lims only. The pups have the same chance at being show quality and having the characteristics we are all after no matter if the boy has a point or not. Even if he only has pre-lims. Do bitch owners ask less for the puppies because the sire didn't have any points?

I agree with the above. However, I charge a lower amount ($700.00) until my dogs have something proven on the ground. All have great pedigrees and all clearances.

I would do $200. then $500 when pups are on the ground. After a few litters, with ob titles don't know why $800. would not be fair after that. But if we can get the best for $900. I would not go out of sight with price.

Thank you for the replies everyone. I believe I will go with $700.00 ( $200 up front and remaining due when the litter is whelped )after he has his OB title.

What are the bitch owners charging for the pups? Usual offer is a puppy back for the stud fee .. if they are charging - and getting - $900.00 to $1,000.00 per pup, why would you not expect that for the stud fee??

not everyone charges that much for there pups. for instance in the past I have only done breedings when I was ready for something to add to my program. needless to say I have not had many litters, my average price was 600 to 800 and feel that is a fair price......maybe not making any money but not in this for the money.....all my pups have wonderful homes and that is the most inportant to me. also a newbie just getting started tring to breed to a very nice male in hopes of improving the quality they have. In my opinion to be honest about this I think some of the puppy prices are outrages even with clearences. I understand it is expensive but you have several breedings in most cases to recoup the cost of clearences and if prices were a little more down to earth more families would have well bred Labradors and maybe help put that back yard breeder out of business by making there pups alittle more affordable.......education and great homes come in all size of pocket books

Clearly Canadian
What are the bitch owners charging for the pups? Usual offer is a puppy back for the stud fee .. if they are charging - and getting - $900.00 to $1,000.00 per pup, why would you not expect that for the stud fee??

Oh I did not ask what they charged for his pups, I didn't believe it was my place to ask.