Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Need Help with showing/running on two puppies

I have never kept two puppies from the same litter before but did this time as it was a mating I would not be able to repeat. The puppies, ( now 6 months old) have turned out VERY nice, very out going ! until we get into a show ring where they almost crawl around like I beat them, they are both food and toy focused at home but at a show they will actually turn their heads away from the treat or the toy, I am at a loss to work out what to do next short of placing one in a pet home and consentrating on the one I like the best. They both stack nicely and naturatly but doing the run round their heads drop to the point I am almost strangling them to keep their heads up! I have worked on them at home individually and both are well behaved, attentive to me stand, stack and move beautifully, get to a show and you can see the look on their face's Like BORING, they are happy at the show as long as they do what they want, when we get to the ring and they have to do as I want they almost stamp their feet like a petulent child and don't do anything asked of them. I REALLY like these two so any help or sugestions would be fantastic. TIA

Re: Need Help with showing/running on two puppies

Obedience and agility classes are great confidence builders. I would take the focus off show training for now.

Take them everywhere you can think of around town. One at a time; with an older dog that is firmly socialized and happy to be out. Feed them treats at every sign of them showing happiness, enjoyment and relaxation. Take them to matches and just walk them around. No real need in the beginning to take them in the match ring; just walking around and getting pets from strangers while you "treat" them at the same time.

Lot of us run into this surprising problem when we take our puppies out of their comfortable environments and find that they are frightened and insecure. 6 mo old is not too late to turn things around.

Jay:

I agree with Take Me Away!

Get those babies out. However, you can do the training at the same time, but separately. Keep 2 crates in your vehicle. Take them everywhere you go.

I kept 5 pups out of a litter once. It was a lot of work, but everyone got training and socialization 4 times per week. It was worth it!

Take them to your local supermarket/strip mall. Walk with them while pushing a shopping cart. Open and close newspaper stands or mail boxes (if available). Walk them over the automatic doors at the grocery store. Have people greet them with and without cookies. They need to understand that they don't always get a treat for being a well socialized dog. Have kids skateboard by them and ride their bikes near them. Go to your local coffee shop and sit outside with them.

All it takes is about 30 - 45 minutes per dog per day of training. The results will be worth it. Make sure you do not baby them or it will diminish their confidence. Take food, squeaky toys and balls with you for praise and distraction.

Good luck!
Michael