Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Colostrum color?? HELP

I took my girl in for a c-section yesterday evening. Everything went fine. However, her colostrum looks a light yellow and milk than the more clear colostrum im used to seeing. I noticed this a few days ago and did tell the vet yesterday, he didnt see concerned. When i put some on a cloth, its yellow! Normal or cause for concern? She was very large before her c-section and did have alot of milk that would be under her when she would get up from her bed before delivery.

Re: Colostrum color?? HELP

Yellow is normal but take her temp to be sure.

I agree that it is normal. Also remember that diet and genetics correlate with milk color differences in cattle and probably other species, human or dog, too. For example, the Jersey cow has a more yellow milk with a higher butterfat when on the same diet as a Friesen, for example. You can see this in milking parlors at state or county fairs. The Jersey was prized for butter making. Add greater amounts of carotene, such as fresh foods, to cattle diet, and the milk is yellower than on a winter dry diet. At least, that is what I remember from 4-H and vet assisting years ago! Those still milking may correct me.

Colostrum is usually more yellow and thicker than milk. Sounds totally normal to me. If she's acting normal and her temp is normal then relax and enjoy!

Agree with Charlotte. Colostrum is yellow, more so in some dogs. I had one bitch that I could put other girls' more fragile pups on because she had a much higher fat content to her milk and would plump them up very quickly.

Charlotte K.
I agree that it is normal. Also remember that diet and genetics correlate with milk color differences in cattle and probably other species, human or dog, too. For example, the Jersey cow has a more yellow milk with a higher butterfat when on the same diet as a Friesen, for example. You can see this in milking parlors at state or county fairs. The Jersey was prized for butter making. Add greater amounts of carotene, such as fresh foods, to cattle diet, and the milk is yellower than on a winter dry diet. At least, that is what I remember from 4-H and vet assisting years ago! Those still milking may correct me.

A wonderful post Charlotte. It's informative and should help the original poster.

I also would say, as long as she has no temperature and is acting normal, that is the color of her colostrum and milk that's coming in nicely. The pups should be enjoying. Watch their weight gains and then stop worrying.

Agree. Relax.

If the pups are healthy YOU should not even see the color of the colostrum because it is all being suckled up.
Just worry if one pup is not getting what the others are!
Same for poop and pee. Mom cleans, turns, exercises.

Ain't nature great? At least for two weeks?