Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
puppy prices

I've been doing research - I showed shelties for over 10 years, bred a couple of litters, made up several champions and put obedience titles on all my dogs. I went through a divorce and am now ready to start my dog hobby again. I have also had labs but never show quality but just as pets.

I've recently been looking for a lab puppy hopefully to show, do obedience with but will also be my house pet regardless of how he/she turns out. There seems to be quite a range when buying from a reputable breeder... I'm confused, any input would be welcome.

Re: puppy prices

The best advice I can give to anyone looking, like you say you are, is patience!
Start going to dog shows, meet the dogs-owners-handlers and develop your eye so that you can find what you want to see in your backyard. Join a local Labrador Club and possibly an All-Breed Club too. Look at websites but remember seeing the dogs in person and developing relationships are more important that what you see in a photo.
But most of all have patience and enjoy your search.
Good Luck.

You might also consider subscribing to the Labrador Quarterly. They publish the results of specialty shows. They have a directory in the back of breeders by state. The directory would point you to breeders whose website you could then check out. And as pointed out earlier, get out and look at dogs. The specialty shows are the best place to see the nicest labs.

You've gotten some good advice. I might add that an advertisement in a magazine does not make a great Breeder, neither does a high price.

I've bought "lovely" prospects from terrific lines from longtime, respected Breeders for "pet price" with no strings. If you have good references and are sincere, try approaching folks at Specialties and you'll be glad you did!

Beware of folks that seem to sell entire litters for hefty prices with lots of strings attached, my feeling is they aren't the ones to deal with

I think the wide variety of pricing has everything to do with location. East coast vs. midwestern etc.

I would think that having strings attached when selling to an unknown person is a good thing. I have had many calls from BYB that want to get into showing and breed. Ive seen people buy from out of state, never show being it costs too much money, but they breed their "show potentials" every season. How do we gain trust without having terms for someone new that hasnt proven their intentions? Or should it not matter just so you collect your money?

I don't think that Thoughtful was saying not to have contracts with new show buyers with some stipulations on showing and breeding their new prospect. I think Thoughtful was saying "Buyer Beware" of the show mill breeders out there that sell every puppy in a litter as a show puppy at high prices and prey on the newbie and take their money and run.

Wow it amazes me that only one post really answered her question.

Breedertoo
Wow it amazes me that only one post really answered her question.

Wow it amazes me that you did not answer it either? Duh!

Serious Puppy Buyer, I agree prices really vary. Go to shows, find what you really like and someone who will work with you. Show them copies of your obedience titles, have vet and any reputable sheltie breeders as a reference.

Be prepared to pay whatever it takes to get what you like. I am in the midwest, 3 very small reputable breeders all in a 50 mile radius. 1 has a freeby homemade website, does not advertise but has Champion dogs, sells for (gives away?) for $600, another excellent breeder with International lines very nice, but only listed on club website sells for $950, another nice American lines, less health clearances but wonderful dogs with titles on both ends, must pay someone for higher Google kennel placement, sells for $1200. All nice dogs, and I think their pups are all underpriced for the pedigrees. People who advertise more places can get more, some do not advertise at all for various reasons and just go on word of mouth. For a kennel that breeds one litter every other year, people may just not know about them. So just ignore price and buy what you want from the best that will sell to you.

That brings to mind this question, as I am only familiar with the labs regarding show price and quality. Are the prices for "quality" labs more or less than many other breeds?
For example, what would you expect to pay for a show prospect sheltie?

Why would I give an answer to a question that I do not know the answer to?

I recently bought a show quality Flat coat, $1900, no guarantees of any sort, reputable but not huge name breeder. Pet puppies were the same price.

A friend recently bought a Ridgeback, dam is in top 10, dad was frozen semen from a long ago great stud, $650-

To the poster who asked about other breeds :

For a Chow, $800 and up. I have seen a few where they were $1500.00.

The prices I gave, were for Pet or Show. I know my mother paid $800 for her prospect. No guarantees and no strings attached.

Ive seen Calvalier show pups from 6000-10,000

Thanks - I thought this was relevant to what the original poster was asking.
I have been wondering how the prices for lab show prospects (and I think most of them are very fair) compared to other breeds.

OP - in the south we would expect to pay a minimum of $1000, and more likely a litte more.
The other folks had some wise advice to give you on being willing to pay for what you want, because the quality is what counts.

I see 8 week old pups go as show potentials for 800 from some breeders. Some breeders charge 1500 for males and 2000 for females. A friend paid 3000 for one from a breeder. Ive heard one kennel charges 4000. A young adult or champion with clearances or prelims 4000, 5,000 10,000 30,000 different prices from different breeders.

Other breeds can be less or more expensive. Try to get a teacup dog for 800 with full registration. It wont happen. Some breeds go for 3500 for pet pups so labs are in the middle of other breeds. Is this what the OP wanted to know?

What you are most likely to find is that many breeders sell show prospects with puppies back. The initial price may be the same as the going price for a puppy in the area. However, if you agree to give a puppy back from a litter, or even 2 or more, you can see the actual cost goes up sharply.

sorry, I've been out the last couple of days. A show quality sheltie puppy is between 400-700 depending on the breeder. I've talked to reputable show lab breeders that ranged from $1000 to $3500. All located from Maryland to North Carolina. That's my confusion - I'm looking at specific pedigrees, I know what I'm looking for but the price range is confusing!

serious puppy buyer
sorry, I've been out the last couple of days. A show quality sheltie puppy is between 400-700 depending on the breeder. I've talked to reputable show lab breeders that ranged from $1000 to $3500. All located from Maryland to North Carolina. That's my confusion - I'm looking at specific pedigrees, I know what I'm looking for but the price range is confusing!

I'm not in the area you're looking so I feel more comfortable saying something. There are a couple of breeders in that area that are very pricey. The normal price for a puppy that is show potential *or* a companion pet is $1700 to $2100. Anything above $2200 is inflated anywhere in the U.S. but that's only my opinion.

You should make sure you're working with the breeder themselves, not kennel help.

You'll know when you find the right breeder and pup. The relationship will click. Take your time and don't jump into what could be a bad situation. A breeder that takes the time to explain the basics to you might be worthy of working with. Remember, you have to prove yourself to a good breeder.

If you're in the area you mentioned, the Potomac show is coming up the 2-nd week of April. It is the largest Labrador speciality in the U.S. and possibly the world. Why not attend it to meet some of the breeders? Face to face is much better than a phone call and you can see their dogs in the ring also. A catalog is $20 which will give you alot of information.

As for shelties being that low in cost, I can't tell you why. I'm not involved in that breed. If you're interested in a Sheltie, that sounds like a very good price.

If you look at the toy breeds they're higher than labradors at times. Stick to the breed you're interested and don't worry what another breed costs, it's apples and oranges.

Good luck to you in your puppy search.