Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is anyone feeding Purina ONE?

We have a rescue, she's about 6, and more field bred. She really only does well on the less premium foods, EVO was too rich, Pro Plan SS&S gives her runs, Orijen is too rich, and she got yeasty ears on Nutri Source C/R.

She came to us eating Alpo Come'N Get It, and besides big poos, she was fine, but I switched her (and tried the above foods) as I HATE those ingredients. Right now she is on Purina ONE, the beef/R flavor and doing fine.

Does anyone else see this as a quality food? Can anyone say if it's working for their dogs? Has anyone had a dog live a long and healthy life on this?

We had a sheltie that ate Purina ONE Lamb/R and she died of cancer at 12, but she was from a BYB, so who knows. It was pancreatic cancer.

I am going to switch the lab to the Chicken/R version after this bag of the beef, as I don't care for beef in dog food (husband picked up beef flavor while I was out of town on business for almost a month and transitioned her to that, I thought it was the C/R).

Just trying to do the best by her, she's had a rough life!

Re: Is anyone feeding Purina ONE?

Purina One is very close to Pro Plan. I use it and have the same results I used to get with the Pro Plan C&R. We cannot get that anymore. If it's working for her, keep her on it.

It's very similar to the old Purina Chicken Adult Pro Plan. I have known a friend's speutered Labs who lived long, up to 17 years old, on that food, both show and field bred, and mixes of field/show, some after starting on Kennel Biscuit or whatever the Kennel-Ration dry used to be called. Sometimes you have to use what works for the individual dog. I remember one rescue who could only tolerate old fashioned Purina Dog Chow; he lived a lot longer on that than being a sickly skeleton on "better" food, as that is what happened. The "better" food was WORSE for him. Purina One is one of the better supermarket/Cosco foods. Just change over gradually from the beef if she is doing well on it, of course. The Come N Get it appears to be corn and beef based, so she may need to stay on the beef Purina One. Just get a little bag of the Chicken as a trial? I have had a rescue decades ago who was terribly allergic to chicken, rice and carrots, which is what we tried cooking for her! Sometimes I just have to listen to what the dog's body is telling me. Again, she seems to do well on a moderate protein corn and beef food from what you are saying.

I switched to ONE when Exceed went down the tubes. I have had no issues with it.

Yes, I have been using it for years and love it. I use the chicken and rice and have had no problems at all with it.

I have been feeding ONE Lamb and Rice formula, since it came out and am very satisfied with it.

don't turn your nose up at the old style original Purina food ... one of the top breeders in the country feeds their dogs that ....

I switched to Purina One lamb and rice several years ago. I checked the ingredient lists and found that the differences between Pro Plan and Purina One were tiny. The only big difference I saw was where the feeds were sold. Purina One was sold at feed stores & pet retailers like PetSmart and PetCo. Purina One was sold there too, but also at grocery stores and BJ's Wholesale Club.

I decided it was a good choice for me. Since I figured my puppy buyers were more likely to buy a product that was available at their grocery stores, I switched. My dogs have done very well on Purina One and I am happy with it.

I feed our Schnauzer and Shihtzu mix Purina One Lamb N Rice and like the results...stools good and coats and skin are in great shape.

My cousins poodle lived until 19 on ONE...and I was at a specialty show two years ago and saw a few dogs with beautiful coats all from the same breeder. I asked them what they fed-it was ONE-of course the coats could just be genetics here but take it for what it is worth.

I have one young male who is a "walking pooper," his stools were slightly soft, too, so it was driving me crazy. I remembered the Purina rep telling me One was good food, just a little more corn than ProPlan (suggested I feed it to the boarders), and I knew corn was a stool firmer. So I started feeding him One, and he looks no different than my other dogs eating ProPlan. It certainly has given me no reason to take him off it.

We feed it to our French Britts, and they do GREAT on it. They are in kennels and clean up is very easy. I feed some older dogs just regular ol Purina Dog Chow, and they do really well on it. Coats are good and weight is good. Clean up is OK. The labs eat a higher protein/fat food for showing, but I'm very satified with the Purina.

How does the price/pound and the price/meal compare to something like ProPlan Performance? My bitches thrive (and even get a little fat) on 2 cups a day of Performance. Even though the price per bag is more I seem to feed less. I pay about $40 per bag. Unfortunately I haven't calculated the price per meal yet but I can do that today. If it's that similar I would switch to One if it ended up costing me less $$.

I don't think it's a whole lot cheaper,if any. I buy my Purina ONE at WalMart. I think it's around $19 a 20 lb. bag. The larger bag..I think it's 40lbs, is like $36-$38.

I just bought a 44 lb bag at BJs for $33.99 and BJs was offering a $5 off coupon on top of that My "retired" house ladies get 2 cups a day and look good on it.

Which food would you recommend for a just bred girl. I am currently feeding her a mixture of Exceed Chicken and Rice and Pro Plan Selects Chicken and Rice. I was switching her over to the ProPlan which I had used for years until their change of foods. Is this a good choice, or does she need a higher octane food like the Performance?

Calculating cost is tricky. I picked up a Purina brochure, "Professional Product Guide" at a show. It gives the calories per cup for all Purina products. Purina One varieties range from 441 - 451 kcal/cup. ProPlan adult shredded is between 366 - 375 kcal/cup. ProPlan Performance is 493 kcal/cup.

I have a 9 yr old, 90 lb boy who thrives on 2 cups/day of Purina One Lamb & Rice. Over the years I have tried several of the Pro Plan formulas, Wellness, Chicken Soup, Nutro, and Exceed. He is doing as well as he ever has on One - coat is great, body composition looks good, and stools are small and firm. I have no plans to ever take him off One, couldn't be happier with this food.

I use ONE lamb and rice on everybody except puppies under 4 months. They get ONE Healthy Puppy Formula.

Just wanted to thank you all for your replies, they were really helpful! I feel quite confident in feeding it now, especially since some of you are breeders/people whose opinions I greatly respect.
Thank you, again.

I think we'll finish out the bag of the beef formula, try the chicken towards the end of the bag, and if that does not seem to work, we'll stick to the beef.

When Purina went to shred I had to feed twice as much to my working dogs to keep weight on. I looked at ONE and have been using it ever since. A friend fed it to her 15 1/2 year old dog till her liver values got bad and switched to NF. I have been feeding it for 5 years. No complaints thus far.

I foster dogs and ONE Lamb & Rice is my food of choice for them. So far all have done well on it. They usually come in from eating crummy shelter food or been out on their own or eating low-quality cheap food in previous homes. They often have had several food changes in a short amount of time too, so their poops are rarely great. ONE L&R has agreed with all of them and poops get better quickly (coats too). I also like it because it is easy to find and not too expensive so I can more easily convince adopters to stick with it.