Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Good questions to ask in search of a new vet

I am trying to find a new vet who might be more "breeder friendly". What is important to look for and ask questions about? What is most important to folks out there? What makes your vet perfect for you? Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions.

Re: Good questions to ask in search of a new vet

If you live in an area with a large population, there are probably lots of vets. I recommend calling each office and asking, "Do you have clients who are breeders?" If the answer is yes, ask how many breeders use their practice and specifically, which vet they use.

Call breeders with different breeds that are in the new area and introduce yourself and ask who are the best reproduction vets in the area. Call local breed clubs and ask. Where are you at?

anon
I am trying to find a new vet who might be more "breeder friendly". What is important to look for and ask questions about? What is most important to folks out there? What makes your vet perfect for you? Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions.

Here are some questions that I asked when looking for a new vet:
1. What is your approach to immunization? What do you use? What schedule?
2. Does your office have experience with canine reproduction? What services do you provide? How much experience do you have. How many breeder clients does your practice have? Is there anyone on call for emergency C-sections?
3. Do you give any discounts for multiple dogs? If so are the discounts on services? meds? both?
4. Are you ( or is anyone on your staff) available after hours for emergency care?
5. Do you allow your clients who are breeders to participate in or observe procedures? For example: assisting in stimulating puppies delivered by c-section.
6. Do you have staff on-site over night to monitor dogs who may be at the clinic recovering from a procedure?
7. Do you provide any holistic services? If yes, which?
8. What are your office hours?

These are the questions that I remember from my interviews 3 years ago.
Hope these help

How do you feel about breeders doing their own routine vet care such as giving vaccinations?

Super list for anyone
Thank you for posting this

I've had to do this more than I liked because of how many times I've moved with corporate relo. Wherever I've been I've sought out the local (or most local) Labrador Retriever specialty club or the active people in the Lab community and built a short list based on their recommendations. I have found that shortens the process quite a bit - then I go in with my questions and take a tour. If anything doesn't feel or sound right, it's time to move on to the next on the list. Good luck - it's traumatic whether looking for a new vet or a new pediatrician - prolly in that order... LOL!

Bedside manner is so important to me. Also, make sure you check your state boards for any disciplinary charges/actions at http://members.verizon.net/~vze2r6qt/supplies/vetboard.htm