Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Showing UKC advice needed

I have shown AKC Obedience and Rally but never in breed, so I want to start by doing UKC. A Springer Spaniel breeder told me you sometimes cannot take bait into the UKC ring. While I have watched a lot of AKC shows, I have never watched an UKC show. What else should I know about showing UKC? What is different in UKC than in AKC (other than no handlers:)?

Any advice with doing my first UKC show would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Showing UKC advice needed

I personally have found that most UKC judges DO allow bait. I think once the entire last year we could not use bait. Its a misconception that professional handlers are not allowed at all... professional handlers are welcome to come and handle their own or co-own dogs, but they cannot handle client dogs. My husband and I dress the same as we do for AKC shows, though you may see some exhibitors 'dress down'. Shows tend to be smaller, and all shows are set up and hosted by the club members,(no superintendents like MB-F at these shows)... so there are no "bells and whistles". There are no time restrictions for the judges per se, so I find judges will take the time to give you feedback on your dog or will give you tips in the ring while you are out there. UKC has a great Juniors program too for the little guys!

Feel free to check out the UKC breed club, United Labrador Retriever Association for upcoming Labrador Specialities and more UKC info:
http://ulra.net/

Or email me privately.

** Edit. Let me just add too that the UKC for 2010 has started a new regular class for Altered dogs, for those who might be interested getting their retired dogs off the couch and out in the ring again!

http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/e63329fac2fcceaa8525735c0061eb4d/b24b77c237c2904f8525767100776e56?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,altered,class

Yes, get out and show with the UKC. So much fun. Those shows are more relaxed and the best people you could meet. All will be glad to offer help as you learn. I show in both and enjoy both.

My experience was that you can use bait but cannot throw it - even dropping a piece could get you dismissed... Otherwise, a great experience with helpful judges that give you direct feedback.