Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How long to keep AKC records?

Does anyone know how long we are to keep AKC Litter records?

I checked their website, but no information.

Re: How long to keep AKC records?

legal records (business journals, taxes, receipts, etc.) should be kept for seven years.

To save space with anything like this, just scan to a digital file and store on a CD or DVD. That way you keep all the records in one place at your fingertips, and a lot less physical space is consumed over keeping the actual original paperwork. Just make sure you get a "good qualtiy" scan of the documents.

I believe the AKC requires a hard copy, not an electronic one. I also think they require that all records be kept for at least 5 yearsafter the dog has died or been sold, etc.

5 years

Hard copies only. you can get rid of everything up to the date of an AKC inspection.

http://www.akc.org/rules/record_keeping.cfm

You can store the materials in any format, but states that you must produce a printed copy from that format. No Federal recordkeeping requirements are listed; I would check on your State's recorkeeping requirements regarding contracts, animals/livestock for those requirements.

Breeder
Hard copies only. you can get rid of everything up to the date of an AKC inspection.

An AKC inspection? I never had an inspection in almost 20 years. What are the reasons for a breeder to have something like that done? Is it random or does it go by something else? Is it the amount of dogs or breedings you have or a complaint? I breed approximately 2 litters a year, some years I have none and once I had 3 litters in a year.

I didn't realize AKC inspects regular breeders, sorry for my questions.

I have over 10 years of records, that should be enough although I never had an inspection. (touch wood.)