Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
UKC Shows

I am planning to attend a few UKC shows for the first time. I will be entering only 1 of my labs this go round, to get my feet wet.

I was wondering if anyone can give me some pointers. Are these shows much like AKC ? Dress code , also the same ? I usually dress business/casual for AKC shows, not as nice as the pros who go all out, but I always try to look nice.

I reviewed the point schedule , glossary, how to read an upcoming event, etc , and I think I got everything understood. Class he would enter would be Adult.

I am getting my boys UKC reg. sent out and will start planning the trip.

Can’t wait !!!

Re: UKC Shows

I am sure you will have great fun, there are no professional handlers there unless they are showing there own dogs, much more relaxed atmospher, I am planning to start showing my girl in UKC already know I will love it but being in TX I have to do a bit of traveling, hope you enjoy it

You will have a great time, much more relaxed and people are really nice and help each other. You get an opportunity to show other people's dogs if they need help which is really fun too! I had a lot of success with my Labradors at the UKC shows and now I am showing my other breed at the shows too. It also helps me work on my handling skills with different dogs which is much needed :)

Becky Anne, best of luck to you! I just posted in the UKC thread last week, so I am basically recycling my response

Most UKC judges do allow bait as in AKC, though once in a blue moon you might get a judge who will not allow bait in the ring. And as someone mentioned before, NEVER throw or purposely drop bait in the UKC ring or you may be excused by the judge. As stated, handlers are welcome to come and handle their own or co-own dogs, but they cannot handle client dogs. My husband and I dress the same as we do for AKC shows, though you may see some exhibitors 'dress down'. I think you will be just fine with business casual. Shows tend to be smaller, and all shows are set up and hosted by the club members,(no superintendents like MB-F at these shows)... so there are no "bells and whistles"... and I will add may you might need a little patience, as its not easy to run a show without a super! There are no time restrictions for the judges per se, so I find judges will take the time to give you feedback on your dog or will give you tips in the ring while you are out there. UKC has a great Juniors program too for the little guys!

Also just a FYI that you can get a temporary license number online if you like to start showing ASAP and are worried that your registration will not be in on time:
https://www.ukcdogs.com/DEWebCom.nsf/TL%20Web?OpenForm

Feel free to check out the UKC breed club, United Labrador Retriever Association for upcoming Labrador Specialities and more UKC info:
http://ulra.net/

Or feel free email me privately.

Thanks !

My biggest question, is how I go about finding UKC shows, held by clubs every year ? UKC also only lists until July and I tried doing a search. So I would appreciate it, if anyone knows any clubs that host annual UKC shows (PNW area for now). Or how often does the UKC update their site with new shows ? .

So far the closest seem to be a 6 + hr drive. Oh, I think his UKC papers would get back in time. The earliest show I can get to, isn't until June so I have plenty of time to get everything in gear !

I replied to you privately at the email you listed. Hope the info is of some help