Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Diamond Natural

I was looking at switching to the Diamond Natural dog food and was curious to know what others thought about the chicken and rice formula as well as the extreme athlete formula. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Diamond Natural

I have switched from Purina to Diamond Natural recently - so far so good!!

Which formula do you use?

I switched from Blue Buffalo to Diamond Naturals maybe 8 or more months ago and my dogs are doing very well on the Diamomds Natural. I had both adults on the Chicken/Rice. Just before my bitch whelped, I started adding Extreme Athlete to her food to a 50/50 mix. She did great and raised 8 puppies. She did blow coat after weaning, but not nearly as bad as she had in the past. She held her weight fine through raising her litter. I also started adding Extreme Athlete to my male's food as he had a hard time keeping coat(this was also with the BB food-not just Diamond Nat.) and he has done much better on the mix.
I did not raise my litter on the Diamonds Natural as I could not find anyone who had used it, but plan to switch my keeper over to the adult chicken/rice when I switch her. I think I will use the large breed puppy when I decide to breed again- for my puppies-not Mom.

I have been feeding my dogs the c/r formula since before ProPlan made the change to the shreds. I also used the xtreme athlete for my preg and nursing mom. She too seemed to have great coat and did not blow much of it after the pups where weaned.

I really, really like this food and have been super happy with it.
Coats and body condition are great!!

Isn't the Diamond Natural chicken & rice the same formula as Kirkland chicken & rice?

I love Diamond Natural Chicken and Rice. If you search it on this site, there is a long and informative post from last summer.

I have been using Diamond Nat chk and rice for a while now, have had no problems with coats or stool, and yes I think it is the same thing as kirkland. I fed my bitch Acana Pacifica, started mixing it slowly the last two weeks of pregancy and fed straight while weaning, and she did not blow her coat. Pups are now 3 months old now, and have put her back on Diamond Nat. I will always go Acana with prego girls and Innova with pups, but for maintenance I love the Diamond Naturals ckn & rice.

been using the chix x rice Diamond Nat' formula for about 4 yrs, AND LOVE it.......used the extreme althlete on occasion with good results too.

Everytime I go to any of the Diamond foods I have to switch back. Are the stools nice and firm and small. I hate the huge piles after getting use to the nice compact ones. You feel like they are getting more out of the food. Let me know, might try again. Paying $30.00 a bag for $40 lb.s right now. Chicken and Rice 30/20.

Kirkland isn't exactly the same as Diamond Naturals. The Kirkland has some extras like fruits and veggies (I can't remember exactly what they were) added in, where the Diamond Naturals does not. I had tried Kirkland in the past and my crew had horrible, horrible smelly stools and lots of it. They did great on the Diamond Naturals, however. As far as I'm concerned, you can't beat it for the price!

I just recently tried another food made by Diamond called Nature's Domain, which is a salmon and sweet potato grain-free food that is sold at Costco. So far so good.

Breeder Also
I love Diamond Natural Chicken and Rice. If you search it on this site, there is a long and informative post from last summer.

I know they're close, not sure if they are the same. Do a label compare and you'll know for sure.

I think the Kirkland is a little better. It was better than Diamond C&R when I switched to it years ago.

I switched to Diamond Natural CR when Proplan went to shredded.
Dogs looked great, condition and coat but my stools were loose. I started feeding Diamond Performance 30/20 and everyone's stools firmed up.

I have previously had trouble with Diamond also,but that was just the regular Diamond. I had GREAT results with Diamond Naturals. I use the Extreme Athlete. It put weight on one of the boys that I had tried lots of different foods on. It's not so much cheaper, though

Kirkland is the same as Premium Edge which is also made by Diamond. You should also check out their Professional line which is a great price and has a buy six get one program.

never seen the professional line, where do you find it?

snort...
Kirkland is the same as Premium Edge which is also made by Diamond. You should also check out their Professional line which is a great price and has a buy six get one program.

They make the Professional line and offer it to independent pet retailers that do enough volume to qualify for it. It is marketed as their store brand. You might want to contact the company to see who offers it in your area. It's nice food at a great price, about 38 dollars for a 35 pound bag. They even have an active formula similar to Diamond's Extreme Athlete.

We love the Professionals line- they have an active formula 30-20, a large breed puppy and a chicken & rice adult formula... all good with low residue. All are also no corn formulas.