Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
hot spot treatment?

What is the name of the medication that you get from your vet that is so effective for treating hotspots?

Re: hot spot treatment?

I use Gold Bond powder - along with a dose of benadryl and amoxicillin. I don't get any of it from the vet!

Neopredef powder?

Vetericyn Hot Spot Spray for Dogs... works incredibly well!!

This is what a Standard Poodle breeder shared with me many years ago. Clean the area with a white paper towel in warm water. Put white vinegar on a cotton ball and dab on the spot then use a powder puff (clean & new) and put medicated powder on it and dab the area. The vinegar brings back the Ph balance and the medicated powder stops the itch and any infection from (possibly) spreading. Use the cheapest vinegar and cheapest medicated powder - they're basically all the same.

Bausch and Lomb contac lens solution .. works really quickly and very economical

Thank you for your help. I brought the dog to my vet (He also shows dogs) and asked for Neopredef, which he had. Because I have a show this weekend, he said Neopredef would not be a good choice. With the oozing it would turn to cement and more coat would be lost trying to remove it.

Here's what he suggested. Since my dog is black, he said that I should clean the area 4-5 times/day with Betadine solution diluted 50/50 with water. . . then I should apply Quadradrops (spelling)a few times/day. On Thursday, I should shampoo the area to remove the ointment. I can still dab on the Betadine solution, because of the black coat.

The dog is also on Clavamox for two weeks.

Thanks.

Nancy Rudgers
I use Gold Bond powder - along with a dose of benadryl and amoxicillin. I don't get any of it from the vet!

Where do you get your amoxicillin, if not from your vet?

AMAZING STUFF

I have used this also it works really well.

I have used that too and it worked great.

AMAZING STUFF

Is this only by perscription, if not where do you get it?

You can do a search online or on Amazon for it, but I know that Romeopet.com carries it.