Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
flooring for a whelping room

Hi All. I finally talked my husband into building a room off my kitchen STRICTLY for my dogs. I do want it to be puppy/whelping friendly. I am looking for insight as to what would be the best flooring to put in there for when I do have a litter of puppies that it would be easy to clean and keep safe for little chewing puppies. I also have two older dogs that are starting to have a hard time doing stairs to my bedroom so I want something that is good for them when they have thier little Moments and potty on floor. I will be grateful all to respond. As this is going to be a major investment and I want it to be done right. Also do you put stuff on walls? or just paint?

Re: flooring for a whelping room

My whelping area has high quality linoleum that has texture for good traction. It wipes up very easily, I keep a bottle of Lysol spray and a stack of napkins on a shelf in there and do quick cleans whenever needed -very easy.

My pups have damaged my regular walls. If it were me, I'd like linoleum part way up the walls.

I absolutely love that epoxy floor coating. I wish I had it everywhere there was a dog in my house.
They do have a grit you throw in for non-slip.

What kind did you use? I used the 1 part stuff and it's coming up every time I mop!

I put up vinyl wainscoting on the walls, easy to wipe down.

I had it done. I would never trust myself to do a job like that.

About five years ago I put in a puppy room. I put (textured) ceramic tile on the floor with wood wainscoting on the lower half of the walls. The tile is easy to clean....the dogs love the coolness of the tile. If I had to do it again I would have had the tile go part way up the walls instead of the wainscoting. My puppies have chewed the baseboard and I need to replace them. If you do go with tile...make sure it has some texture so it isn't slippery.... go with a darker grout and seal it. I brought the tile samples home....grabbed a handful of black and yellow dog hair and put it on the tile....I chose the one that blended with the hair !!!

We used textured tile, but used epoxy grout vs. sanded grout that is sealed. Over time the sanded grout accepts liquid and retains odors. The epoxy grout, although more expensive and labor intensive to install, repels water and is truly water/liquid tight.

As for the walls, we painted and then got clear plastic panels that wipe down like a dream. Our local service dog training center uses the same in their whelping rooms and we borrowed their best practice.

I went with commercial grade linoleum and it's been great. Cleans very easily and is not slippery.

I have painted walls and have considered putting up the clear acrylic or plexiglass panels to prevent scratching and dirt. It's a little pricy but may be worth it for a newly remodeled room.

flooring for a whelping room

your puppy rooms sound so nice! I'll be converting our sunroom soon ... do you have pictures of your rooms to share! Just thought I would ask!