Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy ear infections

I had a 10 week old pup go home last week. New family says vet found bilateral ear infections which vet said shows allergies so pup is coming back to me.

The last 3 pups were playing in my newly thawed pond and creek and I forgot to wipe out ears with witch hazel. Ears were perfect for vet check at 7 weeks. I have never had puppy ear infections. Do you think this really is a sign of allergies?

Vet also said ears were infected for almost 2 months - from 2 weeks old?!! I don't think so! My pups are raised in my scrupulously clean mudroom but were outside several times a day for exercise after week 6.

Re: Puppy ear infections

There's a sucker born every day, and obviously, that vet found one.

Why do some vets want to paint us reputable breeders as dummies?

I'm so fortunate my vet respects me and my breeding practices.

Might be a blessing that you're getting the pup back and avoiding a "lifetime" of dealing with their concerns caused by their vet. The right home will come along.

Was thinking the same thing...could be best that the puppy is coming back to you. Seems like you'll be avoiding many years of new owners who don't yet know better, and a vet that may be constantly leading them down the wrong path.

The slicker the Vet the sicker the pet!
They have to find something!

I think you all are right that it is a blessing pup has come home. They brought her back right after I posted. The young woman has shown in AKC Obedience, lots of ribbons on facebook. She had her coat off this time and was obviously pregnant, came back with both parents. Initially picked up pup with her mom, no mention of a hubby.

I had my $150 professional otoscope ready (the same type Dr. offices have). Ears looked great except a slight swelling in a tiny spot of one ear where an infection may be starting. Ears smelled great. Family looked at each other embarrassed.

After bringing pup back the young woman sent photos, asked how pup was adjusting, said she missed her, etc. I think her parents made her bring it back, I am quite sure she's a single mom with too much on her plate to train a new pup.

You can interview and ask so many questions but not get the whole picture when selling pups, it's kind of scary.