Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cranberry for pup with inverted vulva

What dosage of cranberry caps should I use with a 12 week old pup with an inverted vulva as a peventative for UTI?

Re: Cranberry for pup with inverted vulva

When I had a pup like that recently I gave 1800 mg per day.

The product I use is from fruit concentrate rather than juice (supposed to be better) and a 12:1 ratio - 420 mg. each.

I give one a day for prevention. If urine PH is elevated(checked at home) I give 2/day split in 2 meals and recheck PH in a week.

The body will flush what it does not use.

I gave my pup the ( Rite Aid ) Cranberry supplement 425 mg tablets (no artificial flavor or colors) ....one in the morning and one in the evening until she had her first heat. She never had a UTI and her vulva corrected itself after the heat.

There is a new procedure that vets are testing out for puppies with inverted vulva's. They are tacking it with a stitch similar to how they tack eyes in some breeds. Initial results have been quite favorable.

You may want to discuss that option with them. It was a big topic of discussion at one of the Repo vet seminars in the fall. My vet was at the seminar and was going to test it out.

I have a half-inverted vulva on a puppy right now - I'll probably hang on to her myself anyway, but how do they keep a puppy from licking at a stitch on their little vulva? I'd think they'd not leave it alone?

I have had good success with crancaps for RV pups so I would not do this tacking procedure unless I could not keep the pup UTI free without antibiotics. JMO