Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OFA's VPI, PI, and NOPI

This is mostly a hypothetical question, for future reference, and hopefully not controversial in any way.

Should one worry at all about whether the dog has permanent identification on his OFA clearances when stud dog shopping?

Re: OFA's VPI, PI, and NOPI

worry more about the ones who claim to have OFA Prelims (aka "prelimbs", LOL)when , at best, it was their own local vet doing the evaluating.

worry more about the ones who claim heart clearances before 12 months of age, regardless of method or expertise of the examiner...OFA and ARCH will NOT issue anything more than either a "prelim" or "consultation" as the cardiologists agree that things can, and do change with the heart as the dog grows in size.

worry more about those who claim to have a CERF clearance when they have an ACVO exam which is not submitted to CERF for their certification. Some eye doctors will issue a normal rating when there is a non-passable condition which will cause the dog to fail CERF. This is NOT the same as a breeder's option.

I personally would not worry about the VPI/NO PI...I would not hang my hat on the fact that all the VPI are truly verified anyway. When I was starting out I had a couple that I did not microchip prior to OFA's. They are NOPI's. It is what it is.

I would pay more attention to what the dog is producing and the pedigree.

With regard to the ACVO vs CERF...I personally never send my ACVO forms in. Our ACVO does all of our dogs annually and I keep the forms and provide a copy to anyone intersted in breeding to one of my boys and include them as part of my puppy packets. I have never really found the usefullness in CERF. I know from my DACVO if the dog is passing or not or what condition it does/does not have. From all appearances, CERF does nothing but keep a database. They do not make judgement calls on the results of the exam. Everything is listed on the form...if the person wanting to use my boy has questions, they can call my DACVO directly.

But I don't advertise CERF on my website either...I say they are ACVO annually. If that causes someone to bypass my boy because they are concerned instead of contacting me directly about it...it really matters little to me.

I think too many are wrapped up in what is on websites and have forgotten how to actually have a conversation to discuss information. Nothing in breeding is black and white...if you try to make it that way you will be very frustrated.

huh?
worry more about the ones who claim to have OFA Prelims (aka "prelimbs", LOL)when , at best, it was their own local vet doing the evaluating.

worry more about the ones who claim heart clearances before 12 months of age, regardless of method or expertise of the examiner...OFA and ARCH will NOT issue anything more than either a "prelim" or "consultation" as the cardiologists agree that things can, and do change with the heart as the dog grows in size.

worry more about those who claim to have a CERF clearance when they have an ACVO exam which is not submitted to CERF for their certification. Some eye doctors will issue a normal rating when there is a non-passable condition which will cause the dog to fail CERF. This is NOT the same as a breeder's option.

Give it a rest already, over and over and over.

Tired
huh?

Give it a rest already, over and over and over.

you are so right, all these people just breeding to a piece of paper,pick up the phone and talk to the person who has the dog and see the get.

If the stud was the only one in the kennel with NOPI and all the other dogs had permanent identification, I might be skeptical.

AND that is why when you have questions, you pick up the phone and call. It should matter more what he is producing in his get.

I have had a dog that was NOPI...it is becuase I was newer and did not have him microchipped at the time. It could be something as simple as this.

This whole CERF issue has got me. I never , ever send my annual AVCO exams in to CERF. I think it is ridiculous to give them more money on a exam that one of the top AVCO vets in the country just did. All you have to do is READ the AVCO CERF paper that the Vet/Optha filled out, most are in PDF files on stud dog websites.
I do not understand why any stud dog owner would not have the clearances on their websites, in easy form to download and print. I do not think I have been on one website that did not have these available. What is with all of the questions, and skeptics.