Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
First time shipping semen

I have done side by side inseminations and have received shipped chilled to do AI's on my girls but I have never shipped semen. Is there anything I am forgetting? Semen in extender, ice pack, syringe, AI tube. The bitch owner will be taking her girl to the vet for the AI....but I feel that I'm forgetting something?!!?

Re: First time shipping semen

arrange the shipment :)

Sounds like you have everything in order if you are shipping it within the state. If outside, then you need to fill out your commercial invoice with the details

One thing that is of the utmost importance is making sure the semen is good before you send it. If you don't have the skills to do that, you should have it checked by a vet before you send it.

Hogwash, that all depends. Has the dog just had other pups. Is there any reason to think he has a problem ? I sent my stud dog out chilled for years and never checked it each time. When you are use to how it looks and it looks great. Different story maybe if you are missing breedings.

Breeder
Hogwash, that all depends. Has the dog just had other pups. Is there any reason to think he has a problem ? I sent my stud dog out chilled for years and never checked it each time. When you are use to how it looks and it looks great. Different story maybe if you are missing breedings.

Completely agree! I can look at it and see what the collection is. If you have a dog that has missed a couple of times and the bitch owners feel the timing was correct then I would have it checked.

Make sure you understand how to extend it and package it for shipping.

You'd check after a couple of misses? Do you suppose the bitch owners whose girls missed think that is just fine?

Lots of girls miss. How about 4 in one year with all different males??? Two missing from the same male is not a shock.
More than that then I would start to worry.

I wish you guys would use your names. Then I would know the stud dog owners not to deal with.

I did not intend for this thread to go sour, I only asked a simple question. I know for a fact his semen is good. Not only have I looked at it with a scope, I've used him with all of my gils here and got good results every time.

I hope you don't think MOST check each time. You must be dreaming. Only if something is happening. A miss. Mine never missed. So much is in the timing with the girls. I am on both sides of this coin. If the breeder has checked it great, if not I do when I get it.

It is best to have a longevity test done with different extenders to see how your boy holds up. Not all boys ship/extend well, and some do better with one extender over another.

I also wish some of you stud dog owners that don't think it's your responsibility to check the semen prior to shipping would post your names. Why would you think that if the collection visually "looks good" the semen couldn't be dead? There are all kinds of things that can affect the the semen.I wouldn't think of shipping without checking the collection under a microscope first or would I inseminate my bitch without checking it. I suppose you don't think a periodic brucellosis test on your stud dog is necessary either.

I never would've considered myself naive but I was taken aback at reading from some of you no namers that you don't check before shipping out. Wow...I honestly figured anyone who was shipping out semen to others would be responsible enough to do this. I truly haven't yet dealt w/ anyone who didn't. I thought it was the norm!

I for one, would never ship out semen w/out checking it first, each and every time as is and after extending. I also hold a little back until shipment arrives as well. I would expect a few drops to be checked out on the receiving end and it is.

I feel it's important to know what you are shipping out. The breeder receiving it is SOL, if h/she finds on the receiving end, it's not viable or the concentration is poor as well as motility.

You have zero idea of what you just collected in that baggie w/out looking at it under scope. The boys can be fine one time and in a few weeks something could go wrong w/ him from something you had no idea about. And whatever is allowed to go on until he starts missing and then you find he's producing no viable semen as his tails are so askewed, etc. and then he goes sterile on you. If you'd been checking him, you'd have known something was amiss and got on it and saved him.

I also agree w/ the poster who stated some boys do better in different extenders.

I agree with Sherry. I never ship on my boys without checking to make sure it looks great. That is the least I can do for the bitch owner who has entrusted me with not only their bitch's next litter, but also their money for shipping, etc.

All of the breeders that I know also check the semen. It is not only good for the bitch owner, but maybe you can catch a problem with your stud dog before it becomes too serious.

JanisG