Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
CHV titer?

I am planning a breeding and have heard people talk about herpes titers for bitches before breeding. My vet is open to new ideas but didn't think it was necessary. Where do you send the blood? He said he'd look into it but thought Cornell was the closest vet school that offered it. I was hoping to do some Internet homework myself and talk to him next week.
What does it tell you? If my girl is has a low titer (what is considered low?) then are pups at risk? I have increased temperature in the whelping room in the past but the dams don't like it, so I'm hoping she has a titer and I can keep it more comfortable for all of us!

TY!

Re: CHV titer?

It shouldn't be neccessary to test prior to breeding unless you and your vet feel she would be high risk for contracting a virus like herpes(shown a lot, in a high-concentration confined dog environment, under stress, underlying immune issues, etc.)
You do not increase the temperature of the whelping room to prevent herpes. That is one treatment for neonates that HAVE the herpesvirus. There are other anti-viral treatments that can be used. Ron Bell, DVM from Borador Labradors has a treatment protocol that can probably be found in a search on this Forum.
Try not to worry too much about it, if she was exposed to Herpes in the past, she would have immunity in place. If she was never exposed, take care not to expose her close to being bred.
Canine herpesvirus is one reason I do not like to show my bitches in whelp. That would be the most likely scenario to her getting it and passing it on to her pups at birth. Herpesvirus in an adult dog can be asymptomatic, or you may see blisters on her vulva. The best prevention for any viral or bacterial infection is avoiding other dogs in high numbers (shows, dog park, boarding).

Re: CHV titer?

Thanks, Robin.

She is in season and I do not plan to take my bred bitch anywhere, but will be travelling to Potomac after she is bred, but before pups are due. I was hoping that if she does have immunity, I can worry less about accidental exposure via the dogs that are showing/traveling.

Cornell seems to be the place to do the test, and my bitch's blood was sent last week. My vet said it takes about a week for results and anything over 1:2 means she's been exposed and I won't have to worry about late stage abortion or neonatal death. Is this what others have found to be true?