Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
When using a rubber or latex catheter for AI...do those substances kill sperm??

When using a rubber or latex catheter for AI...do those substances kill sperm??

Re: When using a rubber or latex catheter for AI...do those substances kill sperm??

No ive been using them for years

Re: When using a rubber or latex catheter for AI...do those substances kill sperm??

Yes, latex rubber is toxic to semen. For the record, Latex and Rubber are exactly the same thing, just so you know.

Make sure your syringes have non-latex plungers too

According to the seminar I went to , the anwser is YES, perhaps some people have been lucky. But the senior professor at a University said do not use them.

What do most breeders use to do the collection in ? I've seen plastic veggie n fruit baggies used...the thin bags in the veggie dept

breeder 101
What do most breeders use to do the collection in ? I've seen plastic veggie n fruit baggies used...the thin bags in the veggie dept

Some use the disposable baby bottle bags, but they were too small for my boy. I got one stuck on him. Won't use them anymore.

breeder 101

You can buy A/I kits from multiple sources that consists of a thick plastic collection bag, plastic gloves, plastic pipette and syringe. They are really inexpensive and provide for a clean, safe collection and insemination.

I was taught to use a dixie cup and airline fish tubing that fit the end of a syringe. It works too. LOL

That's pretty darn innovative !!!! You could still use sterile dixie cups pour the semen into the glass tube that gets shipped can't you ? I've never owned a stud dog but may have to learn to do collections in the future with my young boy.