Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
More Ingen Problems

More people are posting about getting inaccurate results from Ingen. I personally know they have messed up on 3 of our dogs. The reason we knew was because we knew the PRCD status of their parents done by Optigen.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Freeport/International-Genetics-Inc/177260322563?ref=nf

Re: More Ingen Problems

Optigen admits mistakes can happen with DNA testing:
Re: not listing "Normal by Parentage"
"You must accept that there is a very low, but real rate of inaccuracy in parentage testing. Sometimes, more than one male can be considered the potential sire because their DNA is so similar. Sometimes, mistakes are made"

I would think that crime labs are far more regulated than OptiGen is, but mistakes abound:
http://www.seattlepi.com/local/183007_crimelab22.html

"Forensic investigators take many precautions to prevent mistakes, but human error can never be reduced to zero"
http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/labs/gel/forensics/

OptiGen will *never* tell you about their mistakes, and yes, they've made them.

Since these 3 dogs were re-tested by Optigen and received different results from Optigen then Ingen released. Ingen labeled 2 of these dogs affected out of Optigen Clear and Carrier breedings, two different breedings with two different parents. None of the parents were even the same, totally different lines.

Optigen tested both of the so claimed PRCD Positive/Affecteds and Optigen's results were Carriers. No one could they have been affected. So who do you think made the mistake? I don't see how Optigen could have mess up on so many different dogs tested at different times, years apart.

Seems to me that if you have question Optigen does answer the phone and will help answer them. Doesn't seem the case with Ingen. People are still waiting on results from last year. Who would you trust???

If the "mistakes" you're referring to, were a result of the initial marker test, yes some of Optigen results were inaccurate. But, as the test was refined, the results were updated. The current test is an actual DNA test and I for one, trust Optigen far more than Ingen.

No, "18yrbreeder" I am not talking about the "initial" marker test (which was crap by the way) I am talking about their own statement on their own site "mistakes are made". That is probably the most truthful thing I have ever heard them say.

OptiGen has had two instances where they had to tell hundreds of people that their dogs were not what they thought they were.

When humans are involved, mistakes happen. It doesn't matter which company you're talking about.

That statement, on their site, is related to labeling dogs "clear by parentage". Of course OptiGen would never label a dog clear by parentage, they wouldn't get your money for that test if they did.

Who do I trust? Neither of them. I have Aguirre speak, and I have heard him talk out of both sides of his mouth. It is all about the money.

Heather
More people are posting about getting inaccurate results from Ingen. I personally know they have messed up on 3 of our dogs. The reason we knew was because we knew the PRCD status of their parents done by Optigen.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Freeport/International-Genetics-Inc/177260322563?ref=nf

Maybe I don't read often enough here but I've only read about no results, not errors with INGEN results. Maybe I missed something?

As others said, there will be a margin of error with humans involved. That's life.

I didn't view Optigen's initial test as "crap". Because of it I was able to breed my beautiful,champion, OFA excellent girl who was a carrier (her mother AVCO diagnosed as affected at age 4) to one of the few boys who tested as clear.

It amazes me that breeder complain about spending $146.00 (25% discount price) for a genotype test when they spend more than that for hips and elbows that only tell them phenotype. Also, what does a Cerf exam cost now - I pay $50.00 - and that has to be done every year. Breeding isn't a cheap hobby.