Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dog Mobile

There have been many posts about good vehicles for Labradors on this forum, but I have a specific question. I'd like to fit at least 3 42" crates and 2 36" crates in one vehicle. Ideally, 1 or 2 of the 42" would be 48".

I expect I'm talking a minivan with all but the front seats removed? Or something larger? Is there a specific brand or model that will have this amount of room?

TIA.

Re: Dog Mobile

I have a ford mini van. I can easily fit 4 large {36"} crates. that is it!!!!!!! A bit of room for a small suitcase and cooler and folded crates. No more.My van is 49" wide which just fits the two 23"x36" crates side by side.

What Ford van do you have? I have an older Windstar and I swear the way back is just shy of 48 inches wide. Just enough to prohibit two 24"x36" crates side by side! With all the back seats out I can fit two 24" wide crates side by side right behind the front seats. Only works if shorty me is driving and both front seats are pulled forward. What brand of crate is 23" wide?

The Precision Great crates are 23 inches wide, in 36 inch length. The suitcase crate by them is a half inch narrower, but I don't like having that hook on the door with the dog jumping up and in--if it blows or swings, I worry about eyes getting put out.

Midwest makes a few 23 inch wide crates, the newish i crate and Select crates previously discussed as fitting in the crate tables. Their SUV crate is only 21 inches wide.

The General Cage crates are 23.25 to 23.5 inches wide by a tad less than 36 inches long, so I am looking to add maybe a Midwest SUV crate, as I have trouble fitting two of the General Cage double door suitcase crates side by side. I seem to remember that the General Cage single front-door crates fit in someone else's Windstar. I like how the General Cage crates fasten, as they do not come undone in a roll over accident like the Midwests could with the simple slide bolt latch. I often order plastic replacement pans to fit the Midwest 23 inch wide crates, and they fit the General Cage crates, which last me a long time.

Can you tell I've been crate shopping?

Mine is an oler 2000 Windstar van. I use the Midwest front side opening crates. 23x 36 and can fit 4 crates in. Two right behind front seats and two more to the back hatch. side by side.

We have a Dodge Grand Caravan and can just fit 2 of the General Cage (23.5 X 35.5) side by side in the back (with the last row of seats out).

Doggie Driver
There have been many posts about good vehicles for Labradors on this forum, but I have a specific question. I'd like to fit at least 3 42" crates and 2 36" crates in one vehicle. Ideally, 1 or 2 of the 42" would be 48".

I expect I'm talking a minivan with all but the front seats removed? Or something larger? Is there a specific brand or model that will have this amount of room?

TIA.

I have an extra long full size van, and I would not be able to put the crates you describe in. I can put two 36" crates facing the back, with four 36" crates along the driver side wall. That backs the crates up to the back of the drier seat. I have to put the seat pretty far forward to accomplish that. Don't forget, my van is extra long. So, the 42" and/or 48" crates you describe would not be possible in a mini. You probably could get a 42" with a side door opening, and put just that one in the back. Then maybe you could fit another 42" in front of that, but I think that would be it. Why such huge crates? Do you have another breed besides labs?

We have a Dodge Grand Caravan and can just fit 2 of the General Cage (23.5 X 35.5) side by side in the back (with the last row of seats out).
----------------------

What year? I don't think you can do this in a 2008 and younger.

Most of the extra-long regular vans would fit the crates you mention. You can put two 36" facing out the back door and then three 42" crates facing sideways along the side wall. Check on the interior width on various brands to see which gives you the most load room. I had a full size extended Ford van and fit three of the 36" crates facing out the back door completely behind the wheel wells. It took specific crates or some modification to suit the width. I could then stack three more of the 36" crates sideways forward of the wheel well along the side and load dogs through the sliding side door. That also allowed some room for all the other stuff one takes to dog shows and two passengers. If you use your space wisely, most extended vans have plenty of room for what you want.

Erin
----------------------

What year? I don't think you can do this in a 2008 and younger.

We have a 2007 Town & Country (basically the same as the Grand Caravan) and we can definitely fit 2 36" crates facing the back.

Are you a salesman for these crates?? I think this forum is full of people trying to sell anything and everything. Can't believe any of it.