Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Swimmer Puppy

Anyone know or can refer me to a page where I can see a picture showing how to hobble this baby? I dont want to make a mistake and hurt him more than help him. TIA

Re: Swimmer Puppy

If you do a search for "swimmer" you'll likely find what you're looking for. Here's a link too:

http://www.northwynchesapeakes.com/swimmer.htm

Good luck!

DO NOT HOBBLE UNTIL LITTERMATES ARE WALKING WITH CONFIDENCE.

To determine how to hobble the puppy, lift him up and try to see how far apart his rear legs would be if he were standing. Make a note of this distance. You can also look at a littermate of similar size to see how far apart its rear legs are when it is standing.

Next take a piece of adhesive tape and wrap it in a U around the outside of one leg, just at or below the hock. Exactly at the point where a normal rear leg would face the puppy’s mid-line, bring the sticky sides together. You have just formed a circle around the puppy’s leg and there is a longish tab formed by the two ends of the tape that are stuck together. Do the same to the other leg.

Now you have two tape tabs that are more or less pointing in each other’s direction. Overlap the tabs so that the length of the overlap is equal to the standing measurement you determined earlier. If the tabs are way too long, you may cut a little off.

Hold the overlapping tabs together. Take a third piece of tape and run it around the tabs to join them together. You may need to use a fourth piece to attain a good join.

A note on tape: The tape I have found that is easiest to work with is 3M Transpore. It is made of semi-clear plastic and has many minute holes. It is easily torn by hand. Additionally, it adheres to itself very well, but is easily removed from the puppy’s legs, pulling off very few hairs. It does not leave significant adhesive on the puppy’s legs when the hobble is removed.

Hi Linda, The safest and best way I know is very simple, as hobbling scares me. Go buy a "waffle" or "egg crate" Foam matress you know the ones with all the hills and valleys, Kohls, Wal Mart, Target etc...cut it the size of you whelp or puppy box, put nothing over it and with in a few days or so your puppy will be fine. I CAN ASSURE YOU THIS WORKS! It takes pressure off the chest and the surface lets them to start using there back legs:>) Yes, it may get "groady" but not a biggie...I usually throw them out if it can't be cleaned...depending on the size of your box, I've put them in a front loader wash machine.

Nancy, I agree 100%, do not hobble a puppy. I have had quite a few swimmers and never ever hobbled them. They have always got stronger on their own. JMO