Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Safeguard wormer

For those using the safeguard wormer are your results good ? Is any one using the safeguard paste ? If using the paste what dosage are you using for dogs ? It seems like buying it in the paste is a better price but is listed as use for horses, so is it the same worm coverage as the safeguard for dogs ?

Re: Safeguard wormer

Use the cattle safeguard- cheapest way to purchase- you give 1 click for smaller and 2 clicks for larger dogs 5 days in a row. In horses, this is called Power-packing.

What would you consider smaller...60lbs and under, or maybe 50lbs and under ?

Probably 60...ish.... I know- talk about being vague, but I honestly just eyeball them!!

I agree that the paste is given at 2 clicks for 75-80 lb dog.

the only bad thing about the new tubes is that the made them so they have to be used with their dispensing gun, you can not longer use good old caulking gun.

we have started using the cattle / goat liquid safe guard which I just squirt on their food, my labs lick the bowls clean.

I use the Goat Safeguard because it comes in a smaller bottle but it's the same stuff, isn't it?

Some of my dogs won't eat their food with the Safeguard in it in any form. I have to give it to them orally, which is horrible. Is the horse paste more palatable?

Why are you giving the horse paste for 5 days and not 3 days as prescribed for Safeguard or Panacur?

Thanks.

I give the Safeguard 5 days in a row, as that is similar to what we do in horses when "power-packing", which is essentially what you are doing to the dogs to eradicate all intestinal parasites. It's quite amazing, as it can make horses shed dull coats and become quite bloomy- same goes for dogs.

I don't know if there is a difference in the goat vs horse/cow product, but the horse and cow paste is the same thing, just the cow safeguard comes in a larger tube 290g @ $39, vs the horse which I think is 25g @$7.

Thanks for your reply...
How about the taste? Do the dogs like the horse version?

My Repro Vet just gave me 5 syringes for a bitch, 75 pounds , that each had 20 cc of liquid Panacur in them. It was for the 5 days in a row dosage. So , was that the goat liquid or horse liquid ??? Just so you know that was alot of liquid to get her to take. I disquised it in some frozen Bil Jac, made into a ball.

Thank you for the information so far! How often do you do this?

Would they eat it from the end of the tube?.. no, but one-two gms is such a small amount and I put it way back in the dogs mouth on their tongue, so I don't even think they have an opportunity to taste it. If you have a gagger, just clasp the mouth closed immediately after dosing and blow in the nostrils- it will force your dog to swallow.

We do spring & fall.

I just put it on their food and they inhale it. Thanks for the "power packing" info I loved your twins in the 9-12 class at Potomac

Is safeguard safe to give to pregnant bitches?

I also use the Goat Safeguard liquid, one of mine doesn't like the taste so I syringe the dosage to that dog, the rest get it on their food. 3 days is the general worming dosage, (I do that every 6 months as well) the 5 days on 7 days off 5 days on again is the Giardia dosage, interesting to know about the power packing, I'll do that next time.

Elizabeth, I also absolutely loved your littermate boys in the 6-9 puppy class at Potomac!

Is any one checking to see if the dogs have worms? Do you just worm twice a year, worms or not? Toxins
filtered through liver, do you worry about the long lasting effect of worming if not needed? Every one is always concerned with over vaccinating, could this also be a problem. Just wanted some opinions.

The eggs live a long time (years!) in soil. If one has ever had wormy stools on the ground, or if one has the dog going to shows and out in public, the dog is exposed to worms. I used to have a vet who insisted that one not worm a litter unless there were worms in the fecal per his staff's test. I had a litter of puppies that just didn't seem to grow right, and got carsick easily. No worms were in several stool checks, even when the pups went home and were checked by other vets. Then one of the other pup's vets wormed that pup prophylactically--and the owner called me to say he passed roundworms. I wormed my keepers, got roundworms, and then called everyone else to encourage worming, at least with pyrantel. Problem solved, as the dull coats started to gleam, and appetites improved. Since then, the World Health Organization (WHO) directed that puppies and kittens be wormed prophylactically, to prevent children from getting blinding roundworm infection in their eyes. Livestock and horses are wormed, with a rotation of wormers lest the parasites become resistant to one type of wormer. Even when using heartworm preventative, I find it a good idea to worm at least once a year except perhaps in a dog in the teens with liver or kidney issues. That dog might get diatomaceous earth instead of a chemical. Still, given the harm that a heavy infestation can do to a dog, getting into the lungs, eyes, blood, causing gastritis and bloody diarrhea, I find the chemicals generally less of a problem than not using them occasionally on young animals. Twice a year seems imperative in the dogs out and about, showing, etc. and more often is important in puppies. Given the dictate from the WHO, no puppy should go to a new home without being wormed at least for roundworms, to prevent the threat of zoonotic infection.
Here's the federal take on this:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/toxocara/factsht_toxocara.htm

If your dogs are all on once a month heart wormer plus, you would still add the additional wormer?
I test stools on a regular basis, my dogs coats are lovely and there stool are firm. I worm
my pups at 2,4,6 and 8 weeks. We pick up stools twice a day and the dogs are maintained in very sanitary conditions. I guess I will have to do some additional study to decide what would be best for my situation, I just hate using so many poisons on and around anything living. I also would hate for them to get sick, I guess in the 30 years I have been breeding and showing I have just been very lucky as far as worms go.

I think it probably depends on your numbers and how much exposure your dogs get. I think you have to do what is best for your situation.

I do not give Heartguard Plus...I give a monthly dose of Ivermectin for heartworm. My dogs are wormed every 6 mos with Safeguard as a maintenance per my vet recommendation who also happens to be a breeder/exhibitor. Puppies are wormed on the typical schedule of 2,3,4,6 & 8 wks prior to going home. They also have a vet check and fecal before we send them home.

We run our dogs in the pasture during our regular walks quite a bit and it never fails that they find all kinds of nasty things to eat including rabbit crap.