Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
When would you send them home?

I have a litter due a week from today and I was just thinking ahead a bit and realized they'll be 8 weeks old on the 29th or 30th. I would expect to size them up June 26th or 27th to make my pick.

So, here's my debate, knowing that there will be lots of hoopla/fireworks over the 4th of July weekend, do I send them home during the week before the 4th, over the weekend of the 4th, or keep the litter together until after the fireworks are done.

The weekend of the 4th would give family's an extra day to settle their bitty one in but I sure don't want exposure to fireworks on top of the stress of a new environment to create noise sensitivity.

Any thoughts?

Re: When would you send them home?

It would depend on the family and their plans but when it doubt, wait IMHO.

I have been in this same scenario and I kept them until after the 4th. I would highly advise it for you too.

"keep the litter together until after the fireworks are done."

That's what I would do.

Generally, I keep most of my pups until 9 weeks. But, if families are taking a vacation just to get started with a pup and they have to take the week before the 4th, then I would let them go with advice on the potential hoopla.

Not everyone lives in an area where there are lots of fireworks close by. It may not be a problem for some families.

I had this exact scenario 2 years ago. I explained in an e-mail to families how a dog can be ruined with excessive noise/frightening situation as a pup. This goes not only for fireworks but firetrucks' horns in parades, etc. I let the families have the option, clearly stating I'd gladly keep pup until after the holiday. Only 2 families chose to take pup - one was going to a quiet cottage which they owned. The 2 that took pup had already planned their weekend all around pup/continuing potty training, etc.

I would give buyers an educated choice.