Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Singleton weights?

Not my first litter, but my first singleton. She is gaining weight easily and quickly.

I just wanted to get some opinions on her feeding schedule and weight gain.
Her mom comes out of the box and is content for 3 hours at a time easily- puppy (who we lovingly call "Solo") - is content with those three hours. Should we try to keep mom out longer? Solo weighs more than pups i've had at 2 weeks old already, and she's only 11 days today. She gets her back legs up under her without any problems - and is moving around all over the place. we have good footing for her, some bumps and lumps and no signs of being a swimmer. She's gaining 3-4 oz each day easily though. I just want to know how much control i should have of this now with her mom being her sole source of food.

TIA

Re: Singleton weights?

Tina @ Tyric
Not my first litter, but my first singleton. She is gaining weight easily and quickly.

I just wanted to get some opinions on her feeding schedule and weight gain.
Her mom comes out of the box and is content for 3 hours at a time easily- puppy (who we lovingly call "Solo") - is content with those three hours. Should we try to keep mom out longer? Solo weighs more than pups i've had at 2 weeks old already, and she's only 11 days today. She gets her back legs up under her without any problems - and is moving around all over the place. we have good footing for her, some bumps and lumps and no signs of being a swimmer. She's gaining 3-4 oz each day easily though. I just want to know how much control i should have of this now with her mom being her sole source of food.

TIA

I think you answered your own question by your description.

If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Agreed. I had a singleton last spring and had much the same. She was a strong girl from the start, gained rapidly, and never had any issues. Mom had just the right amount of time spent with her and actually kept nursing her well past 8 weeks! Granted she didn't have much milk left. It was more of a continued bonding. Have fun with your baby.

Thanks for the replies. sounds like i don't need to be too concerned at the moment if all is going well. She was a very strong little thing the first day of her life. But so long as she's getting around, i won't worry so much. May come back for more advice at a later time though ;-)

We are enjoying her immensely though.