Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bleeding slows if pregnant?

I have always found my girls to bleed less throughout their cycle when they are bred. The times we don't breed it seems they bleed more heavily and for longer. Maybe just coincidence? Does anyone else find a difference in the cycle if they breed or not? I have one girl (bred 9 days ago) that is still bleeding and wonder now if that could be a sign that it didn't take.

Re: Bleeding slows if pregnant?

Let us know what happens.

I've found that although it helps pass the time to look at nipples and flow and behavior and all of the other "signs of pregnancy", none of them are reliable at all... Ultrasound, belly growth, and x-rays are the best indicators short of puppies being born!

I have to agree with you... when my girl was bred her bleeding stopped and it was like after she was bred that her cycle just ended and there where no more signs of bleeding at all! Good luck! Hope you will have puppies in 54 days!!!

I just bred my girl for the first time-3 days after breeding her cycle just stopped. I'm not sure if it means anything but all her previous cycles she went for a full 4 weeks. Time will tell....

here
I just bred my girl for the first time-3 days after breeding her cycle just stopped. I'm not sure if it means anything but all her previous cycles she went for a full 4 weeks. Time will tell....

Same thing over here but my girl wasn't pregnant. I wonder if she was pregnant and absorbed or if the act of inseminating her had some effect on her.

I just bred my girl Rose. I was absolutely sure she was NOT pregnant. Her cycle took another week to stop, no pink nipples, nothing.

However, I now have seven 5 1/2 old week "juvenile delinquents" running around. :-)

I think it depends on the bitch. My Emma stops her cycle abruptly after being bred. One time she was pregnant, the other time she wasn't. Pinkish nipples both times.

I never had this happen. My girls have always continued their season whatever way they normally do bred or not bred and we don't usually have misses.

Who knows why it happens with some girls and not others.

The longer I'm in this, the more I realize, "We are not in control, Nature is!"
Yes there are some common patterns and schedules, but I think we like to quantify and analyze everything to death to make ourselves feel more "in control."
We are NOT in control, Nature is, and I have learned over the years to respect Nature and take a back seat to the things I cannot control!
Same with the temperature drop, some bitches go down and up, some just go down, and some don't even go down at all (happened to me!). In life, as in breeding, you just have to be ready for anything!

Robin, you are correct in that we are not in control but honestly, no one who posted on this subject made any reference to control being the issue...or the need to be in control.
OP merely asked about simple observations or patterns to observations.
Again, just an interesting topic to discuss.
How true that in life we must be ready for anything.

Are there any early signs to detect if your girl is pregnant? My girl was bred (natural breeding) and her bleeding stopped also, but she was not ready for breeding until late in her cycle. I am not sure if the bleeding stopped because the cycle was over or because she was bred and is pregnant?