Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy Socialization

So what do breeders here do as far as socialization of puppies from 8 to 12 weeks, for the pups you keep as show picks for example?

Some dog training authors (Dunbar for one) say that a puppy has to meet 100 new people by 12 weeks, but that doesn't seem possible for most people, certainly not for me. Other sources say 12 different people by 12 weeks, does that sounds like too few? What goal should I set for a show bred lab puppy, that is a show/perf. prospect, in the experience of all of you breeders?

My thinking is that maybe the number of different people a pup must meet to be well-socialized depends on the breed temperament (with for example a guardian breed needing more exposure to strangers than a Lab).

So, how many people do you all think is enough? Have you found that socializing mostly from 12 to 16 weeks (so that two shots have been given) works for show bred labs even though the "critical period" supposedly closes at 12 weeks? It seems like labs act like puppies longer than some other breeds, do think the window lasts longer for them?

I hear breeders say that their puppies/dogs are well-socialized, but what does that really mean in terms of numbers and types of people and situations?

Hopefully this post will start a good conversation, it doesn't seem to be a topic that comes up on here often.

Re: Puppy Socialization

I do not count numbers, and don't start that early. Usually at 12 weeks I take them with us to my kids ball practices. Then start matches by 4 months after all shots are done. That is all my puppies have needed and have done fine later in the ring, or anywhere I take them. I also walk them a little around my neighborhood by 4 months, teaching them to walk good on a lead and a few obedience commands.

I had a field lab in the past with extreme shyness so am very afraid to ever deal with that again. We spent 2 years trying to get her over it - even with behaviorists' consults we never made much progress and she eventually went back to her breeder.

Now to prevent shyness, I just take pup along with me wherever I go whenever possible the first 6 months - to grandma's, friends, family, feed store, pet store, etc. I also take a puppy class from a performance trainer. I walk them around the grocery store parking lot after getting groceries, piano teacher's development while kids take lessons, school parking lot while picking up kids, etc.

When I sell pups I say they are well socialized because they are exposed to at minimum 7 different surfaces, people ie.:friends, elderly parents, children. My kids hop by on crutches, wear hats, etc., etc. The pups are raised in house and are well started with housebreaking as I take them out several times a day in addition to using wood shaving potty box. They have heard all the house and outdoor noises including kids' music practice and gun shot at a distance. These things are programmed into those formative weeks and really make a life long difference.
Recently someone came to me for a pup who had another dog at home from a large well known kennel. That pup had never set a foot on grass until 8 weeks when it came home. She said it was not very adaptable to new situations. Still got nervous at show sites, etc.

Let's see- sheepskin rug in whelping box, newspaper on floor of puppy pen, vinyl flooring in puppy pen, kitchen, and "dog room", concrete garage and utility room floor, wooden steps, grass in front lawn and gravel driveway and garden path- yep, seven surfaces, and they haven't even been on the living room rug yet, and they have yet to learn to climb the carpeted stair, but that will be coming soon. In over 20 years I've never worried about how many types of surface they've been on- I guess I'm all right.

Now, tell me how to keep them from dumping their water dish! I guess i should add WET vinyl and newspaper to the list.

When my MoMo was a baby (after all her boosters) I used to take her to my local fire department. There were always plenty of guys down there, as well as "junior" firemen and firemen love dogs. She got to meet lots of people, play and hear lots of loud noises ... like the fire whistle. And, of course, I used to constantly take her in the car with me so she didn't think the car was for vet visits. Lots of walking the neighborhood so she can meet people and potential new friends.

We are so fortunate that this is an outgoing and just generally easy breed to be around. It is quite easy to forget how important socialization is. We just make each individual dog a part of everything we do from the day they are born. They are born in the house and we cart them around, holding them while watching TV and the kids and their friends (me too) spend countless hours sitting in the whelping box holding a playing with them-how can we not?

And, because we work and live on a large horse breeding facility, there is always plenty going on once they are coming in and out of the house. There is irrigation and mowing and tractors and water trucks-and all the different people who drive them. My husband wears spurs and a cowboy hat, the kids play football, baseball, ride bikes and skateboards and play basketball and the dogs and puppies are always right there with us. There are two bodies of water that I take everyone to regularly. They are exposed to skeet shooting and target practice. They go to the feed store and to practices and local parades.

I never think of it as socialization-it's just life I think anyone who knows and loves this breed can make an endless list of the daily things they do with their dogs and find that they have been socializing them all along.

Marjorie
When my MoMo was a baby (after all her boosters) I used to take her to my local fire department. There were always plenty of guys down there, as well as "junior" firemen and firemen love dogs. She got to meet lots of people, play and hear lots of loud noises ... like the fire whistle. And, of course, I used to constantly take her in the car with me so she didn't think the car was for vet visits. Lots of walking the neighborhood so she can meet people and potential new friends.

That's interesting, where I now live there is a rural fire department nearby, what do you do, just knock on the door? Or wait around until people are working outside?

Lisa Allen

And, because we work and live on a large horse breeding facility... I never think of it as socialization-it's just life I think anyone who knows and loves this breed can make an endless list of the daily things they do with their dogs and find that they have been socializing them all along.

Sounds like a great place to be a dog.

I'm defining socialization narrowly to include just exposure to other people for the purposes of my questions.

This pup lives in the kitchen/living room/bedroom so he isn't stinted on household exposure to various stuff, and gets to go outside and see cars, joggers, bicycles go by, but I don't have a list of dog friendly friends or kids so thats got me worried about socialization. He's been to the vet, hardware store (carried), and on car rides but nothing else after coming from the breeder 12 days ago. Its hard to carry around a 17lb wiggly puppy, but parvo is so scary I don't want him on the ground or anywhere near people's shoes (including the ones I wear off the property), really limits the places available to take him. Is it going to work to take him to puppy class and other places once he reaches 12 weeks and gets another shot or is he missing out now?

Having had a past lab with a people problem I don't want to again ever, will never know if his issues were nature or nurture, he came from a BYB, but the dam was sweet-natured so I suppose it was my fault he did not see enough people as a puppy.

[quote - Laurel]That's interesting, where I now live there is a rural fire department nearby, what do you do, just knock on the door? Or wait around until people are working outside?[/quote][/quote]

I don't knock - I just walk in and ask if anyone wants to play or just hang out with the dogs. I've never been turned down. The dogs really comfort them. One thing they have learned is not to invite the dogs in the kitchen.