Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
water dish vs tiny bucket for shipping Puppy

What is the best water bowel for shipping a puppy?

We have the water/food dish that comes with the crate, however, I have heard of breeders using a tiny bucket & freezing the water before shipping the puppy.

Please advise

Re: water dish vs tiny bucket for shipping Puppy

standard requirement is the travel kit which you may have gotten with the pet carrier. take the one or water, fill it, freeze it over night and let the pup have ice in it. Works great

I agree go with what comes with the crate.

The one that comes with the crate has the food & water bowel combined together.

Will that work, or do I need to get 2 seperate dishes. Some crates come with 2 seperate dishes, and some with the food & water dish combined.

Thank you

I would not use the dish that comes with the crate. I have had several dogs shipped to me and they have eaten that plastic dish. I think it is hazardous and would not use it.

One breeder shipped me a puppy with the metal water bucket clipped onto the crate and that worked great. I would use the water bucket for shipping.

Good luck.

I'm the one that has posted.

The travel kit comes with 1 food dish and a matching little water dish they "snap" right onto the door of the pet carrier. Take whichever is going to be used for water, put water in in,freeze it over night and snap back in. and be done with it. This is very simple. I do NOT feed. In fact don't feed from the evening before until after the puppy reaches destination. You can send food with your puppy packet attached to the outside or top of pet carrier, but DO NOT put food in that other dish you attach. just leave it empty. Puppy would be a mess upon arrival.

I don't bother freezing water in the dishes. As soon as it starts melting it becomes a large ice cube that they scoop out and it ends up in the bedding and makes it all wet. The cargo people give the dogs water or ice chips if they have a layover. I usually put a sign "Bottled water only" on the crate. If the plastic dish is the same size as a dog toy, the pup won't chew it enough to hurt himself. They are made of pretty stuff. Put something else in the crate that's more interesting to chew. You HAVE to feed the puppy before they ship - I forget the time limit but you sign a statement stating when the pup was last offered food or water. Read the airline regulations and recommendations - they are pretty strict.