Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
B Vitamins and Pregnancy

I have a friend who just bred her girl. Normally she gives her girl fairly high doses of B Vitamins and Anosatol (?sp) another B vitamin, water soluble versions. Her question is it that safe during gestation?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: B Vitamins and Pregnancy

What is her reasoning for the B vitamins? Is her regular dog food inadequate?

She said it works well to keep her even tempered and seems to help with the hormone changes.

It was kind of a rhetorical question... I don't supplement with anything during pregnancy. Or for any other dog unless there is a medical problem. If Purina put gazillions of dollars into creating a food that is balanced and appropriate, I don't figure I should mess with what's been tested and proven. I don't have that kind of research budget and I don't want to use my dogs as guinea pigs! Then I don't have to worry if it is safe or not. I'd also be worrying about temperament if she needs to give the bitch something to keep her "even tempered." Not really sure what that means but it doesn't sound desireable.

Can't speak for dogs, but in humans the B vitamin can help balance hormones, especially in older woman during premenopause (studies show reduced hot flashes with supplemented B vitamins) they also help prevent miscarriage in older women by maintaining hormone balance. In humans, reasonable amounts of B vitamins are safe in pregnancy. The B vitamins may also help with lactation in humans.

However, if your friend is using quality food, there are probably adequate vitamins and she may be just throwing away money.

I would consult with a holistic vet instead of geusing what's right or wrong. A regular vet is not trained in the nutrition dept.