Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Labrador Judges.....how do you feel about seeing a ZIPPER on a dog you are judging

Would be very interested in what you think if all other dogs are equal or nearly equal in structure.

Re: Labrador Judges.....how do you feel about seeing a ZIPPER on a dog you are judging

JMHO but it would likely depend on the judge's preference if everything else was equal.

Re: Labrador Judges.....how do you feel about seeing a ZIPPER on a dog you are judging

Do you know any judges that would prefer to see a zipper on a dog's face as opposed to one that doesn't?
I don't.

I've never asked any judges that I know so can't say - interesting questions though.

Not a judge but, it seems like zippers are something people either like or dislike. There does not seem to be much middle ground.

I seriously think that a judge would not dismiss a dog because of a zipper. I don't think a judge would go out of the way to put up a dog with a zipper either.

All things being equal, a zipper MIGHT influence a judge's choice between 2 otherwise equal dogs. I think this is pretty much a non-issue.

I agree, this seems like a non-issue, more of a preference than anything. But Starfish seems to think this is a big issue based on recent posts.

Ya know, most zippers do not hurt a thing. Sometimes they do give a harsher look. But alot have that without a zipper. Some yellows have shades on the face. Some have wrinkles on the brow, across the nose. As long as that dog has a nice body don't think it would get judge by the zipper. I don't look twice.

While we were waiting to have our photo taken I asked Annie Clark what she thought of zippers since our girl, Alibi, has one running down her face and Mrs. Clark had just given her a major and group 4. Her reply was "why would that make any difference to the Judge, it's just hair".

If I had to start 'splitting hairs' for my final decision I would select the exhibit without the zipper if that was the only thing left upon which to split two equally good specimens.

Same situation as a breeder. I would opt for a puppy without a zipper if I had another puppy of equal quality. I would not discard a puppy with a zipper if in my opinion it was the best puppy.

Terri Keller - Ducktales
While we were waiting to have our photo taken I asked Annie Clark what she thought of zippers since our girl, Alibi, has one running down her face and Mrs. Clark had just given her a major and group 4. Her reply was "why would that make any difference to the Judge, it's just hair".

Annie Clark's answer is what I'd hope a judges response would be. If a head is incorrect or harsh, it's the eye placement, ear set, etc... not the zipper. A zipper has nothing to do with the structure of the head. The standard says nothing about it. A clean look doesn't mean absence of a zipper.

Terri Keller - Ducktales

With deep respect to Ann Rodgers Clark who was an excellent judge and highly regarded for her knowledge.....she was not a Labrador breeder.